Saturday, I got to lead two breakout sessions at the South Carolina BCM conference, Converge, on relationships. I had a blast getting to know different college students from across the state. We looked at what God had to say concerning dating and preparation for marriage, and I was so encouraged by the feedback I got. I am working to get the Freshmen 15 book done as soon as I can, because a lot of the college students really encouraged me in this project.
As I promised, below are some links of further help on the subject and some other equipping resources. For those of you at the conference, I’d love to hear your feedback here on the blog or on Facebook. And I would ask you to pray for this project so that it can cover over a multitude of sins (James. 5:19-20) by keeping people focused on God.
- BLOG – travisagnew.org – Travis’ blog that has these notes and excerpts from the upcoming book, Freshmen 15.
- PODCAST – Travis teaches a college Bible study called Fusion and this is the podcast that has some of those messages.
- FACEBOOK – find Travis on Facebook and be alerted when the Freshmen 15 book becomes available.
- NORTH SIDE – Travis’ church’s website.
- Freshmen 15 Excerpts – Here’s some rough drafts on a few of the chapters.
- Freshmen 15 Table of Contents – here’s what the upcoming book is all about.
Here’s some of the scripture we used and didn’t get to use in the breakout. Check these out for further study:
- 1 Cor. 7 – main passage we used on whether or not to get married
- Matt. 6:33 – what do you seek first?
- Ps. 37:4 – delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart
- 1 Thess. 4:3-5 – learn how to control yourself
- 2 Tim. 2:22 – flee from youthful lusts
- 1 Cor. 6:18-20 – your body is a temple
- Matt. 5:27-28 – danger of lust
- Eph. 5:3 – not even a hint
- Genesis 39 – Joseph running from adultery
- Matt. 19:8-12 – seriousness of marriage
- 1 Cor. 10:13 – no temptation has come on you that is not common
- Jas. 1:12-17 – how lust is born
- Gen. 24:62-67 – waiting on God’s timing
- Gen. 29:20 – years seem like minutes…
- Prov. 31 – P-31 woman
- Prov. 6, 7 – watch out for a certain type of women, fellas…
- Judges 16 – Samson just doesn’t know how to pick them
- 1 Tim. 2:9-10 – modest is hottest
- 1 Pet. 3:3-9 – dress for the ladies
- Mark. 10:9 – what God has joined together…
- Eph. 5:22-33 – husbands and wives
- Col. 3:18-19 – husbands and wives
- 1 Tim. 4:12 – be an example in your purity
- Song of Solomon 2:4; 4:9; 5:10; 5:16; 6:3; 6:9; 7:6; 7:10; 8:4; 8:6-7 – righteous attraction