I stayed up way too late last night watching everything come in; it’s not that it is too late, but it is when your six month old still wakes you up too early! It was a historical night, and here are some of my thoughts:
- Regarding Civil Rights: Our country has come a really long way. Regardless of what you think of president-elect Obama, it is an amazing thing that my parents were attending segregated schools in their youth, and now they will have a non-Caucasian as president. I am pleased that our country has made such strides in the race department, and I pray that we don’t take any steps backwards.
- Regarding the “Firing of Bush:” Many people today were saying that this election was more of a firing of Bush than anything else. Once again, regardless of how you feel about George W. Bush, I can’t think of a president who had to face so many unexpected obstacles in his presidency. I am sure while he might have some regrets, he is probably relieved to be leaving the White House and getting some rest. I just hope the country can let him leave in peace.
- Regarding McCain’s Speech: I have much props for this man. If I was him last night, I might have allowed some booing to go on during my speech when he spoke about his opponent. But John McCain loves his country, and he took the high road last night, and I am very proud of him. In light of the opposition any Republican would have faced this election, it is astounding he made it such a close race.
- Regarding President-Elect Obama: He is our new president. Some of you love that. Some of you can’t stand that. I don’t agree with all of Obama’s moral or ethical standards; I sincerely disagree with him on many issues. But he is our new president. And that job needs some prayers on a serious scale. So regardless if you woke up happy or angry this morning, please pray for America’s president-elect. Pray that he always remembers who gives leadership to men in the nations of the earth (Dan. 4:17).
- Regarding Christians’ Reactions: For those of you who are upset today about Obama being elected, you need to remember that America is in God’s control regardless of who is president. Not because America is God’s chosen nation, but because He is sovereign over every nation. And no matter who is elected or what happens, I still know who sits on His throne.
“Some boast in chariots and some in horses, but we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God. They have bowed down and fallen, but we have risen and stood upright. Save, O LORD; May the King answer us in the day we call.” -Psalm 20:7-9