Tonight is the night! We are celebrating this Good Friday by our worship event entitled “Knowing Jesus.” You still have time to join us!
Doors open at 6:30 and the service will start at 7. No childcare provided, but we would love for you to bring the whole family. The service will be piped out to the commons area if you need a stretch break. It will also be streamed online but be aware that much of what happens in this service is all over the building and so the cameras won’t do it justice. You will get the full experience if you are in the room with us – so come on out!
Everyone has an opinion of who Jesus is. Some think He is a great example for us who desire to love others better. Some people think He was the greatest moral teacher of all time.
But what if He is much more?
What if this religious rebel-rouser actually was who He claimed to be? What if Jesus was God in the flesh? What if He did defeat sin once and for all? What if He actually rose from the grave?
If these things are true, everything changes.
In January 2012, North Sideʼs worship team began praying about a way to tell others the full story of Jesus. Many people are familiar with some of His stories or some of His famous sayings. We desired to help paint the whole picture. Share His whole life.
After hours of prayer and biblical study, we composed all the music that you will be hearing tonight (except for the music during the communion). These arenʼt our original thoughts. We put Scripture to music. As we walk through the life of Christ, please feel free to sing along. Get involved. Be amazed at who Jesus was and continues to be. In the following notes, we have provided some of the biblical passages we used to compose the music. Take time after tonight to read it for yourself.
We pray that tonight you will be found in the matchless pursuit of knowing Jesus.
ACT 1 – THE PREPARATION STAGE
- COME LORD JESUS All of Creation was waiting for the One full of grace and truth. John 1:1-18
- GLORIA The majestic King came as a humble baby. Glory to God in the highest. Luke 2:1-21; Matt. 2:18-25
- WISDOM & STATURE Jesus was fully God, and yet He was fully man. Jesus grew from a boy into a man and never once sinned. Luke 2:39-52
- YOU MUST INCREASE Jesusʼ cousin, John the Baptist, cleared the path for Jesus. His desire was to fade into the background in order to put Jesus on display. John 1:19-28; 3:22-36; Matt. 3:1-17; Mark 1:1-8; Luke 3:1-17
- IT IS WRITTEN Before Jesus’ ministry began, He defeated Satan in the wilderness by His refusal to sin. If it was written in God’s Word, Jesus was committed to obedience. He was perfect. Matt. 4:1-11; Luke 4:1-13
ACT 2 – THE MINISTRY STAGE
- WORDS OF LIFE Jesus taught with authority. His words gave life to all listening. Matt. 7:28-29; Matt. 5:3; 6:33; Luke 9:24; John 6:60-69; Luke 6:46; John 8:31-32; 15:5; Mark 12:30-31; Matt. 25:40; John 3:3
- I WILL FOLLOW Jesus called ordinary men to follow Him to change the world. The disciples never knew how their world would be turned upside down. Matt.4:19; Luke 9:23-25; Matt. 10:1, 16; Mark 3:13-19; Luke 5:8-11; Matt. 19:27-30
- ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE Jesus made the impossible possible. Help our unbelief. Mark 9:22-29; Matt. 5:23-25; 11:2-6
- YOU ARE THE CHRIST Everyone had an opinion concerning Jesus’ identity. For Peter, the proof was undeniable – Jesus was the long-awaited Messiah. Matt. 16:13-20
- FRIEND OF SINNERS Jesus loved the unlovable and befriended sinners. John 8:1-11; Matt. 9:9-13
- HOSANNA Jesusʼ arrival into Jerusalem showed the level of His popularity. News had spread, lives were changed, and people were ready for their King. Matt. 21:1-11; Mark 11:1-10; Luke 19:29-38; John 12:12-15
ACT 3 – THE PASSION STAGE
- WOE TO YOU While sinners adored Him, the religious leaders hated Jesus. Matt. 23:1-36; Luke 11:37-54; John 8:39-59
- COMMUNION Jesus ate the Passover with His disciples. He was the perfect Lamb that would soon be sacrificed for the sin of the world.
- Matthew 26: 17-29; Mark 14: 12-25; Luke 22: 7-23; John 13:1-30
- NOT MY WILL Alone in the garden, Jesus accepted the task before Him. Matt. 26:36-46; Mark 14:32-42; Luke 22:40-46
- IT IS FINISHED Jesus was betrayed by one of His own, Judas. Satan led him to hand over Jesus to chief priests who handed him over to the Romans for crucifixion. Matt. 26:47-56; Mark 14:43-50; Luke 22:47-53; John 18:3-11.The debt of sin was forever paid at the cross of Christ. His last words were “it is finished.” Matt. 27:11-56; Mark 15:1-41; Luke 23:18-49; John 19:1-37
- RISEN Death was swallowed up the Sunday morning when Jesus rose from the grave. He is risen. Matt. 28:1-15; Mark 16:1-13; Luke 24:1-43; John 20:1-29.
- These things are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name. -John 21:31
- GO The gospel message of Jesus is too good to keep to ourselves. We must go. Matt. 28:18-20; Mark 16:15-16; Luke 24:47-53; John 21:22
Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. -John 21:25
After we finish tonight, there are some great next steps for you. Here’s some direction for you:
- Easter Sunday – If you don’t have a church home, we would love for you to join us to continue worshiping together this weekend. Our Sunday morning services are at 9:30 & 11 with childcare at both times. Get the family together and let’s celebrate the fact that Jesus is risen!
- Connect to North Side – Interested in finding out more about our church? We would love to have you join us for Connect where we talk about what it means to have a relationship with Jesus and His church. We meet on the first 2 Sunday nights of every month at 6PM in the Connect Room behind the auditorium.
- Fill Out Card – During tonight’s service, we would love for you to fill out the card included in these notes. If you want to know Jesus more, our church would love to help you.
- Join Us Online – Go to northsidebc.org and we can help you get connected. You can watch or listen to messages online. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay updated on what is happening with our worship team as well as the whole church.
- Get Resources – We recorded this live presentation of “Knowing Jesus” last year. The Live CD and DVD are available for purchase. This is a great resource to use to share the gospel with your friends and family. Plus, we have many more CDs and resources available. You can also get it on iTunes.