I absolutely love the passage that we focused on today as a church family:
James 3:13 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. 15 This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. 17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. 18 And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
The Peak band did a fantastic job leading us in worship. I say this each time, but I really mean it: our church would be blessed at the caliber of character and musicianship if this was our regular worship team week in and week out. These teenagers are legit and we are blessed to have them lead at the Peak and on Sundays!
- One Thing Remains – Jesus Culture
- Christ Be All Around Me – Leeland
- Come Holy Spirit – North Side Worship
- Holy Spirit You Are Welcome Here – Jesus Culture
- Be Thou My Vision – Fernando Ortega
Ben Hjalmer did a fantastic job of preaching today! So proud of his passion and integrity. With clarity, he helped explain the difference between worldly wisdom and godly wisdom.
Some of my favorite lines I wrote down were:
- If I desire to make life about me, that is demonic!
- Worldly wisdom originates in hell.
- If you say that you are wise, prove that you are wise by the way you live.
- The difference between worldly wisdom and godly wisdom is clearly identifiable by the way we live.
- Your small issue now will turn into a great issue later if you don’t address it.
So thankful for what Jesus taught me through these servants today!
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Distinctive Discipleship. He is married to Amanda and the father of two sons and one daughter. Travis graduated from North Greenville University with a B.A. in Christian Studies and earned his M.Div. and D.Min. from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, with his doctoral focus on family discipleship.