Weeks ago, I received a Facebook friend request and a message from a guy in a town about an hour away from me. His message read:
I tried calling u Sunday at church. Are u a serpent seed preacher ? Me and my friend are looking for churches around here that preach the serpent seed
Unsure of where all this was heading I asked him to clarify and this is what I received:
What happen in the garden of Eden ? Do u believe in one or two blood lines
U do use the Hebrew translation to help u study right. To help u understand the words
Satan is Cain father and God is Abel father
Hebrew translation tells us two blood lines. And blacks and Jews are Satans children
Well, here we go.
I responded back as gently as I could:
Interesting theory. So how do you interpret: “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” Galatians 3:28 ESV
And he then asked me to use the KJV when speaking with him. Ah, of course. What was I thinking?
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28 KJV
So, what did he do with that? Avoided it.
He began to explain his perspective concerning how blacks were ruining everything in our world due to their evil nature. He has been taught the serpent seed doctrine by someone, and I truly was broken for him. I asked him honestly where he studied Hebrew, and he said that a friend’s father had some books on it and told him some stuff. I explained that I had studied Hebrew and I would like to clear some things up for him because he was making some pretty critical claims.
Let me try to summarize what this doctrine actually teaches cause it took me a while to ensure that this line of thinking wasn’t a joke in the first place.
The serpent seed doctrine requires people to throw out clear biblical texts and create make-believe connections through the King James Version of the Bible.
In Genesis 3, Adam and Eve are tempted by Satan who comes in the form of a serpent. In the KJV, God confronts this first couple after their sin. Adam blames Eve and God. Eve blames Satan. In the KJV, it translates that she said, “the serpent beguiled me and I did eat.” The word “beguiled” in some contexts can be synonymous with “seduced.” So the belief is that Satan seduced the woman, they had sex, she conceived Cain (they also believe this was at the same time of being impregnated with Adam’s son, Abel), and that is where blacks and Jews come from (or any other race the person holding this belief doesn’t like). The reason Eve covered up after eating the fruit was because she was ashamed that she had sex with the snake.
Plain Errors in the Serpent Seed Doctrine
Over many Facebook messages (which I kept promising myself I was going to end and eventually did), I tried to type with a gracious demeanor and pointed out some important errors in this line of thinking.
- “Seduced” Is Not an Accurate Translation – I have talked about this here before, but it baffles me that people take extra-biblical traditions concerning the King James Version Bible and make them as authoritative as the Bible itself. The KJV is great to read, but anyone who says it must be this translation or no translation, there is a dangerous reasoning underneath. In this case, it was an attempt to justify sinful feelings of prejudice. Just so you know, “beguiled” is not in the original language. The best translation from Hebrew to English is “deceived.” The serpent seed doctrine makes you use a poor translation of “beguiled” into English and then take a B-list synonym in English to get “seduced.” We aren’t even dealing with the original language here.
- Satan and Eve Did Not Have Sex – I know this should not be a discussion point, but I showed him repeatedly how the Bible would display people having sex and it is never used this way. If that’s what happened, the Bible would have no problem saying it like it is. The Bible is very explicit when it comes to that matters. It says she ate the fruit from the tree. That means that she ate the fruit from a tree. The problem with it was because it was a commandment by God. It says that Eve ate. It does not says she has sex. The biblical authors know all associated words. Eat means eat. Sex means sex.
- Cain and Abel are Not Twins – They are not twins because that would mean they have the same father, and you can’t implant a womb that already has been implanted. In fact, the Bible is very clear about what happened: “And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord. And she again bare his brother Abel” (Gen. 4:1-2). Did you catch that? It doesn’t get more straightforward than that. Adam knew his wife (that is the G-rated version of saying sex, and the Bible never says that Eve “knew” Satan). Eve conceived from Adam and she birthed who? Cain! And God helped her have that baby! And then it happened again and she birthed Abel! How did this guy explain that? He wouldn’t look at it. He said we can’t even get to Genesis 4 until I get Genesis 3 correct. I’m not making this stuff up. I would just publish the whole dialogue but I want to keep his identity protected.
- Races Originate from Babel – He kept asking me if Genesis 3 didn’t teach on different races, where do the blacks and Jews come from? The common belief is that races began from the Tower of Babel in Genesis 11. When families moved to different parts of the world, over the year, different processes caused people to turn different shades of brown (which is how I remind people that we are not that different from one another). FYI, they were all brought together again at Pentecost and coming together for a big party in heaven one day, but I’ll get to that in a moment. And if, races started in Genesis 3, how did they survive when God wiped out everyone except for Noah’s family and his subsequent race in Genesis 6? No answer on that one either.
- Adam Covered Up Too – This line of thinking hinges on the fact that Eve covered up her genitalia proving that she had done something sexually shameful with Satan. Well, Adam covered up too. So, does that mean he had sex with Satan? No response on that one either. Each time I would point something like this out, he would avoid the question and go back to the KJV’s beguiled and it’s B-list synonym.
The Hebrew of Genesis 3
Since he kept going back to Genesis 3’s wording, I showed him what it actually looked like and gave him some information to help.
This is the original text.
ויאמר יהוה אלהים
לאשה מה־זאת עשית
ותאמר האשה הנחש
It is true that Genesis 3:13 is the only Old Testament Scripture wherein nawshaw is translated in English as “beguiled.” However, the Hebrew word nawshaw is employed sixteen times in the Old Testament. In the King James Bible it is translated beguiled once, seize once, and deceive or deceived thirteen times. Of greater importance, in the fifteen other Old Testament passages where nawshaw is used; not once is it used with sexual connotations.
If the Hebrew word nawshaw means to sexually seduce as all seedline teachers claim, then in 2 Kings 18:29, Rabshakeh was warning the inhabitants of Jerusalem not to let King Hezekiah sexually seduce them. And in 2 Kings 19:10, Rabshakeh was warning Hezekiah lest he be sexually seduced by Yahweh. And in Jeremiah 4:10, Jeremiah was accusing Yahweh of sexually seducing the descendants of the House of Judah! And in Jeremiah 29:8, Yahweh was warning the remnant of Judah about sexual seduction of false prophets. And in Jeremiah 37:9, Yahweh was warning King Zedekiah and the remnant of Judah not to sexually seduce themselves!
When It Started to Get Real
As it continued to progress, I eventually wrote to him:
Someone is teaching you to add to Scripture to show proof for your beliefs. This is very dangerous. If you read the Book of Genesis for what it is, you will see the true narrative.
The seed of the serpent is those whose Father is the Devil. Who lies like he lies. The seed is sin.
Satan’s deception in the Garden was twisting God’s Word (“are you sure God said”) to get his desired outcome. He did the same with Jesus in Matthew 4 and Luke 4. He took a passage, took it out of context, and twisted it and it led to sin.
What is so ironic about this belief is Satan is using this to say, “Are you sure God didn’t say ‘seduced?'” He is twisting God’s Word to deceive you into sin.
Racism and bigotry is sin. It is consistent throughout Scripture. Someone is twisting God’s Word to justify racism. That is the irony of this belief. It’s not the color of a man’s skin but the darkness of his heart.
To that, he responded:
I was raised not to mix. My dad is a mason. Our cultures are so different. That’s we are suppose to stay in our tribes
Even Joel Olsteen is a firm believer in the serpent seed
I responded, “I was raised in an area that thought that way too, but then I started reading the Bible and realized it was wrong. And Joel Osteen is one of the worst biblical interpreters out there. Even he KJV and Strong’s (which he brought up repeatedly) does not support racism.”
I was not raised wrong. Blacks and Jews are evil
I responded, “Look buddy, I don’t know you, but to answer your first question: I am not a serpent seed preacher. And you would not like to come to our church. We have many blacks there. We have Mexicans. We have Asians. There are a lot of folks that you won’t like, but then I guess heaven is going to be miserable then:
Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;”
Then He Called My Children Evil
“By the way, I have adopted black children in my family. Do you think my children are evil?”
U know y u have black children is to please the people in your church so it’s for a money gain.
I was thinking u couldn’t be a teacher of serpent seed and do that. Bc I look up teachers and your name came up
Serpent seed preachers we’re the old ones it’s sad the new age got scared to keep preaching the truth
He just called my children evil due to skin color. Pray for me, folks. I almost lost my mind.
I responded, “You must have found me because I preach the gospel in which the seed of the woman (Jesus – virgin birth) would one day crush the seed of the serpent which is sin including racism and bigotry. And I will keep preaching that.”
The Bible’s Message on Race
I calmly asked him if he had ever read the Bible. He kept talking about we got to get Genesis 3 down. I said, “have you ever had the Bible as a whole?”
I haven’t read the whole bible I want us to talk bout the first book Genesis from the start
After calling my children evil, labeling me as a dumba## at one point, calling my church evil for letting people in other than whites, I had figured that I wasn’t getting anywhere. So, I explained to him the need to read the Bible and that I would be signing off from this conversation, but I typed this up to him before we finished.
I also continued to use the KJV in hopes he would read it.
Let’s talk about the Bible. It is so important that you read it! Because you are being fed unbiblical information.
1 John 4:20 makes it clear: If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
I am worried that due to your hatred, you don’t have a relationship with God. I am worried by the fruit I am hearing from your life, that you don’t have his Spirit in you. I am worried that you are in danger of eternal hell.
I don’t know that for sure, but I am truly am concerned. I have some friends who are praying with me for you, because I think you have been deceived by the Devil. Just like Eve. I don’t think you had sex with him, but you have been deceived by him. It’s a consistent message in the Bible. Satan’s children are not flesh and blood, it is people who show hatred in their hearts and their actions. His children carry out his wishes.
The fruit in the Garden represents disobedience. It doesn’t matter what the rule was. The importance is that it is a rule given by God. They had to obey it.
The fact was that God gave a rule not to eat of the tree (Gen. 2:17; 3:1, 6) and they disobeyed. In fact, if you would just read a few more verses in that chapter, you would see that Adam ate from the tree as well (Gen. 3:17). I haven’t heard you mention that Adam had sex with Satan as well, so this obviously means that he disobeyed God just like Even by breaking the one commandment given. Eat means eat. It doesn’t mean sex. That is ludicrous. The writers of the Bible know how to say sex (they would often say “he knew his wife” but we don’t see that here at all). But they didn’t here. Why? Because Eve didn’t have sex with Satan.
The message of the Bible then calls a man named Abram. He blesses him to be a blessing (Gen. 12:1-3) to all the families of ALL the nations of the earth. He explains that someone would come from his family that would bless ALL the peoples of the earth (Gen. 15:5).
Throughout the Exodus, we see Moses marrying an Ethiopian (Num. 12:1) and God not having a problem with it. We see other people throughout Exodus-Joshua joining the Israelites in their faith to God and yet they were of other ethnicities.
God tells Isaiah that it is too small a thing just to think about their tribe, but he wants them to be a light to the whole world (Isa. 49:6). Jonah is chastised by God for not loving another nation and another people (Jonah 4:10-11).
When Jesus comes, he comes in the middle of racist times. Yet he was intentional to pass through a city of mix-breeds to share God’s love with the Samaritans. The disciples were shocked (John 4:1-27). God’s love was not for a certain tribe (by the way, if God’s love for a people was just for a tribe, you and I as Americans are out of luck. White people? Not a chance! We are down the line to what the tribe is like ethnically).
Good thing though, because the cross broke down the dividing wall between different ethnicities (Eph. 2:14). No more us and them mentality.
He told his disciples to make disciples of all nations (Matt. 28:19). As he ascended into heaven (Acts 1:8), he told them to be witnesses to those in Jerusalem (their city), Judea (their region), Samaria (different people and different ethnicity), and to the ends of the earth (which would include all peoples and all ethnicities. All colors.).
On the Day of Pentecost, many different ethnicities hear the gospel and are baptized into fellowship with the church (just to list a few of those mentioned in Acts 2:9-10 we see Parthians, Medes, Elamites, people from Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia, Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, Cyrene, and Rome). Within a short amount of time, the Holy Spirit is guiding Phillip to share the gospel with an Ethiopian (Acts 8:26-29). God shows Peter that anyone in every nation is able to come to God. God shows no partiality towards race (Acts 10:34-35).
As the Church grows, the Apostle Paul teaches that there is no difference between ethnicities. All are welcome (Gal. 3:28). Heaven is described as people from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages (Rev. 7:9).
Now, that is just a quick sampling from the entirety of the Bible that I want to present to you.
If you read the Bible, you will see God loves ALL peoples of EVERY nation.
You told me that you wouldn’t want to come to my house or to my church because of black people being present and sharing in the fellowship there.
If you wouldn’t want to come to my house or our church because other races are present, let me forewarn you: heaven will feel like hell to you.
Because heaven is going to be multicolored and it will be radiant. Red and yellow, black and white, we are all going to be up in his sight. Together. As family. Greater than the blood of fathers and mothers gave us, this is the unifying blood of Jesus.
So if you desire heaven, you need to know, it will not be full of people who look like you. If you are wanting to keep the “tribes” separate, you will hate heaven.
My house and our church will be nothing compared to the amount of multicolored pigmentation going on in heaven.
In that day, we will see that the great Deceiver – Satan (Rev. 12:9-12) will be thrown down and his seed will come with him. It won’t be other races because many of those people are in heaven with Jesus. Those in hell will not be marked due to their skin but by their hearts. The serpent’s seed are those who live like their Father the Devil. They relish in pride. They espouse hatred.
Many of those in hell will be racist bigots who think they are superior to others based on the shade of the skin.
The seed of the serpent is sin and that includes the sin of prejudice. The only way to escape hell is through salvation in Jesus Christ who shows no partiality and offers grace to all without thought to color or ethnicity.
I truly do pray that you will read the Bible. In it, you will get to know Jesus and realize that he loves all colors. I pray that if you haven’t received the gospel and been transformed by Jesus that you will. And I pray that before it is too late, you will experience that same love that God has but experience it in your own heart towards those of other races.
His response to me?
“You are using too much Bible.”
Well, then I am guilty.
I know this has been long, but trust me, I left out a lot of things and some of the more disturbing comments were kept from you. Thanks for hanging in this far, and my prayer for you is this:
- That you read the Word and don’t allow yourself to be manipulated by Satan’s lies.
- That you try to win people over graciously and through pointing out the truth.
- That you be part of the race solution rather than just a commentator on the problem.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28 KJV