We wrapped up our “Until He Comes” series today. Studying 1 & 2 Thessalonians has been so powerful and timely!
Our services came together like this:
- To God Be the Glory – The Alone Instrument
- How Deep the Father’s Love for Us – Kings’ Kaleidoscope
- Prayer Time
- O the Deep Deep Love – Sovereign Grace
- Christ Is Risen (Because He Lives tag) – Matt Maher
- Sermon – Godly Discipline
- There Is a Fountain – North Side Worship
Here are some of my notes from the sermon today:
- Even in exhortation, Paul maintains the sense of family (2 Thess. 3:6).
- Distance yourself from the disobedient (2 Thess. 3:6; 2 Thess. 3:14; cf. 1 Cor. 5:11).
- Ministers should set an example to imitate rather than seek a perk to anticipate (2 Thess. 3:7-10).
- If a man can work but doesn’t, he is not to eat (2 Thess. 3:10). God oftentimes provides food through work.
- You ought to be busy but not busybodies (2 Thess. 3:11).
- You can champion grace so much that you can cheapen it.
- I can’t simply be obedient to the things that make sense to me.
- Don’t enable disobedience (2 Thess. 3:6, 14).
- We cannot continue to live with one another and allow sin to go unchecked.
- Shaming someone is showing grace (2 Thess. 3:14).
- If we listen more to the world than the Word, we will look more like the disobedient than the obedient.