As the children of Israel left Egypt and crossed the Red Sea, God reminded the people of his power. When it seemed as if there was no way out, God showed up and delivered them yet again. The incredible story is recounted in Exodus 13:17-14:31. Exodus 15 is the first worship song recorded in the Bible and it is simply spectacular.
Here are some notes:
- God did not send Israel by the fastest way but the best way. They were not prepared for that opposition.
- God knows us better than we even know ourselves.
- Israel had the tools for battle (Ex. 13:18), but they were not prepared for how to use them.
- The Israelites did not know the path, but they knew the guide.
- God is in control of this situation by even setting the stage for only him to get the glory.
- God uses unusual strategies for victory.
- Never let the presence of your enemies cause you to forget the presence of your God (Ex. 14:10).
- Watch what can happen when we lay down our arms and see what God’s can do (Ex. 14:14).
- Moses stretched out his hand, but God did the rest.
- Leadership integrity takes patience (Ex. 14:31).
- A saved people should be a singing people (Ex. 15:1).
Never let the presence of your enemies cause you to forget the presence of your God.