The Five Love Languages for Children is a great resource from Gary Chapman. Using the original love languages (physical touch, words of affirmation, quality time, gifts, and acts of service), he teaches parents how to apply them in raising children.
- We need to fill our children’s emotional tanks with unconditional love, because real love is always unconditional (17).
- For many children, physical touch speaks louder than words, gifts, quality time, or acts of service (39).
- Encouraging words are most effective when they are focused on a specific effort your child has made. The goal is to catch your child doing something good and then commend him for it (50).
- Quality time is a parent’s gift of presence to a child (60).
- As a substitute for their personal involvement with their children, many parents go overboard in buying gifts (79).
- Because service is so daily, even the best parents need to stop for an attitude check now and then, to be sure that their acts of service are communicating love (95).
- The supreme value of discovering your child’s primary love language is that it gives you the most effective means of communicating emotional love (108).
- To be effective in discipline, parents must keep the child’s emotional love tank filled with love (120).
- It is extremely difficult to motivate a child unless she first feels genuinely loved and cared for (145).
- Unless we as parents know what anger is and how we can handle it in appropriate ways, we will not be able to teach our children what to do when they feel angry (152).
You know you love your child. But how can you make sure your child knows it?
The #1 New York Times bestselling The 5 Love Languages has helped millions of couples learn the secret to building a love that lasts. Now discover how to speak your child’s love language in a way that he or she understands. Dr. Gary Chapman and Dr. Ross Campbell help you:
- Discover your child’s love language
- Assist your child in successful learning
- Use the love languages to correct and discipline more effectively
- Build a foundation of unconditional love for your child
- Plus: Find dozens of tips for practical ways to speak your child’s love language.
Discover your child’s primary language—then speak it—and you will be well on your way to a stronger relationship with your flourishing child.