Thom Rainer’s I Am a Church Member is a great read for anyone who desires a biblical look at what church membership should look like practically.
- I am suggesting that congregations across America are weak because many of us church members have lost the biblical understanding of what it means to be a part of the Body of Christ (5).
- The concept of an inactive church members is an oxymoron (16).
- And few things can destroy the unity of a church like gossip (25).
- We will never find joy in church membership when we are constantly seeking things our way (36).
- It means that the devil sees the pastor as a threat, and one of his highest priorities is to take him down and take him out (49).
- It’s a lame and invalid excuse to say you will limit your involvement to the universal church. The Bible is clear that we are to be connected to a specific church in a specific context (72).
- When we have an attitude of entitlement, we have a lousy attitude (74).
2. I Will Not Let the Church Be About My Preferences and Desires
3. I Will Pray for My Church Leaders
4. I Will Lead My Family to Be Healthy Church Members
5. I Will Be a Functioning Member
6. I Will Treasure Church Membership as a Gift
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Distinctive Discipleship. He is married to Amanda and the father of two sons and one daughter. Travis graduated from North Greenville University with a B.A. in Christian Studies and earned his M.Div. and D.Min. from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, with his doctoral focus on family discipleship.