Skip to content
After God’s Own Heart
This Is the House That God Built (2 Sam. 7)
- David wanted to honor God by building him a house, but God had a greater house of which David could never build.
- The greatest work of our lives will not be what we do for God but what God has done for us.
The King’s Plan (2 Sam. 7:1-7)
- A dream for God and a dream from God are both noble, but only one should be carried out.
- God is not mandated to act upon our most brilliant plans.
- God’s presence is not restricted to a place but reserved for a people (vv. 5-7, 9).
The LORD’s Promise (2 Sam. 7:8-17)
- God’s grace is never contingent upon our works.
- Even death (vv. 12-13), sin (vv.14-15), and time (v. 16) cannot deter God’s promises.
- The Davidic covenant promises a forever-reigning king who would come from this family.
The Worshiper’s Prayer (2 Sam. 7:18-29)
- The only proper response to the LORD’s unstoppable promises is unhindered praise.
- God rescues us from our bondage to reclaim us for his possession.
- The surest of prayers are those founded in God’s promises.