It’s a new month and that means it’s time for a new focus for the leadership at Rocky Creek. Each month, we are focusing on a specific area to really develop as a church body. Just to catch you up, here’s what we have been focusing on at Rocky Creek:
- January: Pastor – I am so thankful you allowed me to be your pastor!
- February: Website – The staff did a wonderful job at overhauling the website and the content to equip you is growing on here by the day.
- March: Services – We added an additional worship service and both of them are continuing to grow!
- April: Guests – We created a “Next Steps” process that has served guests and members alike.
- May: Leadership – We began the process of evaluating and equipping our staff and volunteer teams.
- June: Campus – We focused on ways to make simple adjustments now and plan for future developments later that will cause us to be better stewards of the buildings God has entrusted to our church family.
- July: Calendar – We are almost complete with our yearly calendar that will encompass all courses and events for the upcoming year (based on the school calendar). It will be available at Waypoint!
August’s Focus: Groups
This month we are focusing on the those groups that gather together for the purpose of discipleship. These are what we are calling Gospel Groups.
A gospel group is a group smaller than a group in a worship service that gathers together for the purpose of discipleship.
While we have used many names to describe these groups (Sunday School, Bible study groups, fellowship groups, Life Groups, small groups, etc.), we are going to start using the term Gospel Groups to refer to groups that gather together to studythe gospel, to apply the gospel, and to encourage one another to share the gospel.
We are not disallowing any previously used terms, we are simply trying to unite all the different types of groups out there. It will help us as we communicate with new folks about joining one.
- “Sunday” in the title won’t work because many of our groups are going to have to be replicated on another day of the week. We have many people serving on Sunday that can’t be a part of one, so having a “Sunday” School on a Wednesday won’t make sense.
- “School” is a word that causes some people to feel disqualified. I spoke with a man who said he flunked out of school growing up and the thought of school in church made him feel unable to join.
- “Bible Study” is the primary purpose of what these groups will be doing, but we want these groups to be more than just an hour a week – we desire them to be available for one another after the weekly Bible study concludes.
- So for all ages and all groups that are studying the gospel together, we will refer to them as Gospel Groups.
Gospel Group Values
Here are some values that we think are important for all Gospel Groups:
- AUTHORITY – God’s Word is our guide.
- MATURITY – Our leaders are growing.
- AUTHENTICITY – It is safe to be real.
- ACCOUNTABILITY – We keep each other on the right path.
- AVAILABILITY – We are accessible beyond the gathering.
- REPRODUCIBILITY – We grow to multiply.
We are adding more Gospel Groups throughout the week and we are in the process of upping our leadership training for all groups of all ages.
If we can get you in a Gospel Group to grow, please contact Jeremy to sign up for one today!