Disciples in the Home
Authentic discipleship moves from the church and should eventually change the home. Disciples obey God’s commands for how families are to treat one another particularly in the relationship between husband and wife and between parent and child.
Submissive Wives (Col. 3:18)
- Since men need significance, God calls wives to submit to their husbands.
- If a husband finds significance in his wife, he doesn’t have to look for it anywhere else.
- A submissive wife loves to encourage, listen, and follow her husband.
Loving Husbands (Col. 3:19)
- Since women need security, God calls husbands to love their wives.
- The level of a man’s sacrifice for his wife determines the amount of security she feels in their marriage.
- Don’t excuse your present frustration due to your wife’s past mistakes.
Obedient Children (Col. 3:20)
- Since adults need stimulation, God calls children to obey their parents.
- If children fail to learn obedience to their parents, they will suffer consequences in every area of their lives.
- If your motivation is to please your Heavenly Father, your application is to obey your earthly parents.
Encouraging Parents (Col. 3:21)
- Since youth need structure, God calls parents to encourage their children.
- The greatest obstacle to producing devoted children is discouraging parents.
- If your children don’t receive affirmation from you, they will go looking for it in unhealthy alternatives.