Jesus was questioned regarding the nature of marriage and the opportunity for divorce. When an eternal God puts something together, it should last forever.
Let Nothing Separate
- By determining what issues are worthy of divorce, many people attempt to discover a way out of their marriage.
- Due to the stubborn nature of people, God provided a civil manner through divorce to protect families from more severe calamities.
- Jesus defined marriage as a covenant that is heterosexual, monogamous, and lifelong.
Let Scripture Clarify
- God views trivial reasons that lead to divorce and remarriage as adulterous, sinful decisions.
- While divorce was permitted in the Bible, it was never promoted in the Bible.
- Scripture permits divorce for two reasons: adultery from an unfaithful spouse (Matt. 19:9) or abandonment from an unbelieving spouse (1 Cor. 7:15).
- Scripture permits remarriage after an acceptable divorce or a spousal death (1 Cor. 7:39).
Let Grace Cover
- Don’t commit more sin out of guilt for previous sin.
- Divorce never completely rids you of an unwanted spouse.
- Illegitimate divorce is not the unforgivable sin but it is a consequential one.
- No matter the reason, God always hates divorce (Mal. 2:16) due to what it does to the person, the family, and the society.
- The only people who live in a state of sin are those who are continually and defiantly disobedient.
- If you feel endangered in your marriage, leave the premises without necessarily abandoning the person.
- While divorce may seem unavoidable in some cases, never discount the power of grace.