Untouched yet by Mankind, Creation was perfect in the beginning. God displayed His goodness and purpose in what He created and how He created it.
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth (Gen. 1:1).
The Creator of Creation
- The names of God used in Scripture usually signify something unique is transpiring.
- El is the Hebrew name for God.
- Elohim is the plural name for God(s).
- The name used for who created the heavens and the earth is Elohim.
- The structure has improper grammar because it uses a plural noun with a singular verb.
- The word usage implies a monotheistic God whom a singular noun cannot contain.
- Many commentators also believe this usage alludes to the Trinity (cf. Gen. 1:26).
- To the surprise of many readers, the Spirit of God is active as early as Gen. 1:2.
- Yahweh (YHWH, Jehovah) is the Hebrew name for LORD and expresses the unique, specific, covenantal name of God with the Israelites.
- The explanation of this name comes with Moses at the burning bush (Ex. 3:13-15).
- Adonai is the common Hebrew name for Lord.
- Many of the biblical people have their names rooted in the names of God.
- The “iah” ending of names includes the name of Yahweh.
- Obadiah – worshiper of Yahweh
- Jeremiah – Yahweh has lifted
- Isaiah – Yahweh is salvation
- Micah – Who is like Yahweh?
- Nehemiah – comforted by Yahweh
- The “el” inclusion in a name references the name of El or Elohim.
- Daniel – El is my judge
- Eli – El has lifted or my El
- Nathaniel – gift from El
- Bethel – house of El
- Elijah – Yahweh is my Elohim
The Rhythm of Creation
All six days of creation had a common rhythm:
The Order of Creation
“The earth was without form and void…” (Gen. 1:2)
- Environments (Providing the Form)
- 1 – Light
- 2 – Sky & Water
- 3 – Land
- Inhabitants (Filling the Void)
- 4 – Sun, moon, & stars
- 5 – Birds & fish
- 6 – Land animals & people
The People of Creation
- God’s nature is good so it makes sense that all of His creations would be good.
- In Genesis 1, we see a quick glance at Creation week.
- In Genesis 2, God allows us behind the scenes on day 6 to give greater insight into the creation of Mankind.
- Man is the only creation that is made in the image of God, and it is the only one that God describes as not good because it is incomplete.
- Before sin has corrupted Mankind, God is walking next to Adam in the Garden of Eden and still says that Adam is alone.
- No other created thing was deemed worthy to help Adam.
- To meet the needs of Adam, God designed something completely unique – a woman.
- The word for “helper” implies one who supplies strength in the area that is lacking for the “helped.”
- The language ensures that the reader understands that this helper is fit for him but not exactly the same as him.
- A wife is not meant to clone the husband but to compliment the husband.
- A spouse serves as a suitable helper for one’s relationship with God, role from God, and rule from God.