After we moved into our home, I had the challenging opportunity of getting grass to grow in a new yard. The ground was so compacted, I had to break it up. I bought an aerator for my lawn but it first required some assembly. I didn’t have the exact size wrenches I needed, but I was sure I could make it work. And I did work for hours until I finally caved and my cheapskate self bought the correct sized wrenches for the job. As my now callused and bloodied hands paid for the tools, I thought to myself, “There must be an easier way.”
There was. I should have gotten the right tools in the first place. Through blaming the virtue of frugality, I claimed I was saving money but I was wasting another investment – my time. And I couldn’t get that back. Have you ever felt like you were wasting time because you simply didn’t have the right tools in your hands? It’s time to go the second mile in selecting the right productivity tools for the job.
LISTEN AND READ BELOW
Why Is This Important?
- To whom much is given, much is required (Luke 12:41-48). Jesus taught a parable that highlighted the need to be faithful as stewards of the time God has given us. If you have been given much from God, are you being faithful with those opportunities?
- To whom has invested much, more will be given (Matt. 25:14-30). Jesus taught another parable of a man who trusted stewards with different amounts of investments. For the one who failed to do anything with the little amount, the master took it away and gave it to the one who had more.
If you want to be faithful with the time and opportunities you have been given, decide what will be your go-to tool in these 4 areas:
- Coordinate your entire schedule through a calendar system that works with your pace and your personality.
- Current Tool: Google Calendar + YouCanBook.Me
- Organize your needed content into a system that allows you to collect, archive, and access information easily.
- Current Tool: Evernote
- Ensure that your contacts are easily accessible and updateable.
- Current Tool: Google Contacts
- Commit to a trackable system of collecting and completing your tasks.
- Current Tool: Todoist
- Do More Better by Tim Challies
- What’s Best Next: How the Gospel Transforms the Way You Get Things Done by Matt Perman
- Crazy Busy! by Kevin DeYoung
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen
GET THE 2ND MILE ON YOUR FAVORITE APP
You can listen to the 2nd Mile Podcast here or download it on your favorite app below. Some of the main points are transcribed for you below as well.