People have attempted to predict the end times, but Jesus assured that no one will know the precise time. While we don’t have the exact details of Christ’s return, we can hold the certain reality of His return by faith.
24 “But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light,25 and the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.26 And then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.27 And then he will send out the angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven.
28 “From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near.29 So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that he is near, at the very gates.30 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
32 “But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.33 Be on guard, keep awake. For you do not know when the time will come.34 It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his servants in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to stay awake.35 Therefore stay awake—for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning—36 lest he come suddenly and find you asleep.37 And what I say to you I say to all: Stay awake.”
Jesus’ Return Is Guaranteed (Mark 13:24-27)
- After a great tribulation, the cosmos will signal an undeniable return of Christ (13:24-25).
- The triumphant Son of Man will return with unmistakable power and unshakeable glory (13:26; cf. Dan. 7:13-14)
- Those scattered to the nations with the
messageofthe gospel will be gathered together with the Hero of the gospel (13:27).
Jesus’ Return Is Soon (Mark 13:28-31)
- Every day patiently endured is one step closer to Jesus’ glorious return (13:28-29).
- Your interpretation of who “this generation” refers to narrows down your beliefs regarding the end times (13:30).
- Jesus left some details concerning the end times ambiguous which creates differing groups and challenging debates.
- In a world promised to change, the words of Jesus will consistently endure (13:31).
Jesus’ Return Is Unknown (Mark 13:32-37)
- Any calculated theory of Christ’s return essentially removes that predicted time as a possibility (13:32-33).
- Jesus has left His church on earth to be in charge of the family business until He returns (13:34-35).
- Your end times obsession will focus on a prediction of the hour or a preparation of when the hour comes (13:36).
Jesus is coming – are you ready?