This Sunday, it will be the first time in over a year when I will not start the sermon out this way: “I want to invite you to turn with me to the Gospel of Mark…” While I have loved what God taught our church family during that time, we are moving forward to exploring further truth in the Scriptures.
After a year series through Mark’s Gospel, we are moving to a 5-week sermon series entitled, “Membership Matters.”
Before the summer begins, I believe it is a pivotal time to talk about what it means to be part of a local church. Since the beginning of the year, over 100 people have joined our church membership. That is an amazing testimony to what the Spirit is doing among us! With so many new family members locking arms with so many existing family members, it is important for us to hear from God’s Word what it means to be the local church.
I believe the United States is in a dangerously confusing time regarding what it means to be a church member.
Many people believe that it is like a country club or gym membership. Many people church hop around following the most endearing trends. Others prefer to remain anonymous worship attendees.
Please pray with me and be ready to hear some surprising claims from the Bible regarding what it means to be a church member. Each week’s title comes from questions that I have heard regarding the church. You can see the weekly list below. Pray through those passages before you come on Sundays, and let’s get to work at what it means to be a church according to God’s standards.
The Importance of Belonging to a Local Church
The local church matters to Jesus. And it should matter to you.
- May 5, 2019 – How Much Should I Prioritize Church?[Acts 2:42-47] – With so many expectations on us, what does committing to a church realistically look like? As we study the early church, we will see God’s intention that the church is to be more than a service you casually attend.
- May 12, 2019 – Is Church Membership Even Biblical?[Acts 6:1-7] – While the phrase, “church membership” is not in the Bible, the concept grounds the New Testament message and methods. Devoting yourself to a local church is important for your soul and helpful for your congregation.
- May 19, 2019 – Why Do I Feel Disconnected at Church? [Heb. 10:19-25] – As a church grows larger, how do you avoid getting lost in the crowd? Our relationships in the church will only grow according to how intentional we are.
- May 26, 2019 – What Does the Church Have to Offer Me?[1 Cor. 12:12-31] – Many people will join a church based on what it has to offer their specific situations. Instead of focusing on what the church can provide for you, have you ever considered how you can use your gifts to bless the church?
- June 2, 2019 – How Should We Handle Unfaithful Members?[1 Cor. 5:9-13] – As we commit to a local church, what happens when we fail to represent Jesus? The Bible is clear on expectations of how we are to confront one another to avoid drifting spiritually.