Christians often feel tension with knowing how to respond to God based upon our blessings in the light of others’ misfortunes. If we give credit to God for our blessings, how should we show an adequate attitude of gratitude?
- Ingratitude – A sense of false guilt regarding blessings does not show gratitude toward God.
- Disdain – A refusal to enjoy God’s gifts can be interpreted as having a disregard for the Giver.
- Avoidance – Failing to acknowledge what God has given does not honor Him.
- Worry – If you constantly worry about what you have or don’t have, you are unable to rest in God’s blessings.
- Comparison – Constant comparison of what others have will never allow you to be content in what you have been given.
- Selfishness – If you only concern yourself with how to protect your interests, you will never be able to model generosity.
- Perspective – If you see your blessings as an end rather than a means, you will never see God for the treasure that He is.
- Prov. 10:22 – The blessing of the LORD makes rich, and he adds no sorrow with it.
- Prov. 14:24 – The crown of the wise is their wealth, but the folly of fools brings folly.
- Prov. 22:4 – The reward for humility and fear of the LORD is riches and honor and life.
- Ecc. 5:18-20 – Behold, what I have seen to be good and fitting is to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of his life that God has given him, for this is his lot. Everyone also to whom God has given wealth and possessions and power to enjoy them, and to accept his lot and rejoice in his toil – this is the gift of God. For he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart.
- 1 Chron. 29:16 – O LORD our God, all this abundance that we have provided for building you a house for your holy name comes from your hand and is all your own.
- Ps. 145:7 – They shall pour forth the fame of your abundant goodness and shall sing aloud of your righteousness.
- 2 Cor. 9:11 – You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God.
- 1 Tim. 6:17-19 – As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.
- Grateful Perspective – The best way to honor a good Giver is by being a good recipient.
- Eager Blesser – It is an appropriate thing to bless our families in appropriate ways.
- Generous Giver – Greater wealth can be used for a further blessing if you remain generous to worthwhile causes.
- Restful Renewer – Taking time to pause your pace and enjoy your blessings allows you to continue a diligent life.
- Awe-Inspired Disposition – Never overlook God’s involvement in the enjoyments of this world and the next.
For what blessings do you need to thank God? How should you enjoy them?