Looking for Bible verses to study or memorize in a particular area? One of the best ways to fight for holiness and combat against sin is by memorizing Scripture.
Here are 10 verses for combatting lust.
- Matt. 5:28 – But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
- 1 Cor. 6:18 – Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.
- 2 Tim. 2:22 – So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
- 1 Thess. 4:3-5 – For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God;
- Job 31:1 – I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a young woman.
- 1 John 2:16 – For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world.
- Gal. 5:16 – But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
- Col. 3:5 – Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
- 1 Pet. 2:11 – Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.
- Prov. 6:25 – Do not desire her beauty in your heart, and do not let her capture you with her eyelashes;
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Distinctive Discipleship. He is married to Amanda and the father of two sons and one daughter. Travis graduated from North Greenville University with a B.A. in Christian Studies and earned his M.Div. and D.Min. from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, with his doctoral focus on family discipleship.