To fight against lust, we must have a plan to protect ourselves from pornography. Using scriptural insight and practical wisdom, you can find hope with this struggle.
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.Matthew 5:28
The Current Reality
- Pornography is sexually explicit material that dehumanizes, objectifies, and degrades people for the purpose of sexual arousal.
- In the United States, 25,258 users are viewing internet pornography every second.
- There are 4.2 million pornographic websites, which equals 12% of total websites.
- 1 in 5 mobile searches is for pornography.
- 27% of teens receive sexts.
- 57% of teens search out porn at least monthly.
- The first exposure to pornography among men is 12 years old, on average.
- 71% of teens hide online behavior from their parents.
Insights from Galatians 5:16-24
- Surrendering to the Spirit is a daily activity and not a singular decision (16).
- The Spirit and the flesh oppose each other and attempt to frustrate the other’s plans (17).
- The flesh does works (19), while the Spirit provides fruit (22).
- Paul’s warning against sexual immorality uses the word “pornea” (πορνεία – 19).
- The flesh pursues sins of sexual immorality, impurity, and sensuality, while the Spirit provides fruit of patience, faithfulness, and self-control (19, 22-23).
- Belonging to Jesus includes crucifying our flesh with its passions and desires (24).
The Fight Plan
- Determine what triggers the usage.
- Decide how and when you will engage in media and avoid mindless browsing.
- Establish the boundaries for tech usage and content.
- Accept technological inconvenience if it promotes holiness.
- Evaluate the environments where you are most susceptible to temptation and avoid them or alter them.
- Commit to an accountability partner and agree upon how to evaluate.
- Memorize fighter verses pertaining to lust (Matt. 5:28; Eph. 5:3; 1 John 2:16; Gal. 5:15; 2 Tim. 2:22; Col. 3:5; 1 Cor. 6:18; Prov. 6:25; Job 31:1; James 1:14-15).
- Employ apps that block or report pornographic material (Qustodio, Covenant Eyes, Ever Accountable, Accountable2You, Net Nanny, Lion, Open DNS, Kaspersky Safe Kids).
- Pursue God’s methods to meet your desires.
- Evaluate your methods quarterly.