Each of us will either lead our emotions or be led by our emotions. When certain feelings creep in and begin to alter the way you think, speak, and act, how are you supposed to respond? Ignoring them will not make them go away. It’s time to go the second mile in engaging our emotions.
Proverbs 29:11 – A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.
- Distinguish the Danger – What is the most prevalent emotion?
- Identify the Triggers – Are there certain things that ignite my emotions?
- Evaluate the Environment – Are there certain shared scenarios?
- Consider the Recipient – Is someone getting the brunt of it?
- Rethink the Response – What would a healthy response look like?
- Establish the Solution – How will you quietly hold your emotions back?
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Distinctive Discipleship. He is married to Amanda and the father of two sons and one daughter. Travis graduated from North Greenville University with a B.A. in Christian Studies and earned his M.Div. and D.Min. from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, with his doctoral focus on family discipleship.