We are a distracted people.
And while I prefer to preach through books or major sections of the Bible, when there is such a pressing need for a topical sermon series, I eagerly go there. It is definitely one of those times. When school starts back, I will preach a sermon series at our church called Distracted. We are going to address our calendars and technology and the toll it is taking on our souls.
This series is not a filler one to me. This is probably one of the most critical areas to address for Christians these days. Below you will find the series summary, weekly descriptions, and the incredible series graphic that communicates so much. Hope you can join us!
The burden of busyness and the tyranny of technology is doing significant damage to our souls. Instead of being devoted, we are distracted. Instead of feeling focused, we fare frantically. We normalize stress and neglect stillness. If you feel overwhelmed with the pace of life, let God’s Word expose you to a different kind of standard.
- August 22, 2021 – The Danger of Distraction [Luke 10:38-42] – We often find ourselves distracted with so much that we miss the most important things. If you feel too overwhelmed with distractions, you must evaluate and alter your habits to experience the life Jesus intends for you.
- August 29, 2021 – The Burden of Busyness [Ephesians 5:15-17] – We wear busyness like a badge of honor in our culture, but the pace does significant damage to our souls. Consider how you should use your time in the wisest way possible.
- September 5, 2021 – The Tyranny of Technology [1 Cor. 9:24-27; 6:12] – To experience spiritual sanity, we might require a digital detox. If you don’t discipline yourself to control technology, be assured that it is controlling you.
- September 12, 2021 – The Dailiness of Devotion [Luke 5:15] – You will not grow closer to Christ by accident. Our spiritual conditions are contingent upon the intentional disciplines we take to withdraw from distractions and engage with devotions.
- September 19, 2021 – The Stop of Sabbath [Deuteronomy 5:12-15] – If we neglect God’s structure for our rhythms of work and rest, we will find ourselves eventually burning out. The gift of the Sabbath is a needed weekly pause in the midst of a culture committed to nonstop hurry.
- September 26, 2021 – The Pride of Platform [Psalm 131:1-3] – King David found the proper state of mind when he realized who he was and who he was not. We must fight against the tendency to assert ourselves pridefully among a culture built on self-promotion.