Ben and I went to Catalyst 09 at the end of last week. Catalyst is a leadership event for church leaders. They get church and business leaders to share principles that can be implemented in ministry settings. The event is always a wow event as far as production and they always have great speakers and worship leaders.
There was so much good stuff in there, I am still processing a lot of it, but I want to give you some of the best ideas from the event for you to chew on this morning:
- Stop worrying about who is against you or for you, and start focusing on who you are for.
- God takes full responsibility for the life wholly devoted to him (via Charles Stanley).
- My responsibility is to be obedient to God and trust God for the results.
- Unconfident irritates me, overconfidence scares me.
- In times of crises, we think we need daring decisions from our decision makers, but what we really need is humility.
- Sometimes the crowd thins.
- You have Christian organizations ranking churches and pastors when we serve a risen Savior who says the first shall be last?! Put the crack pipe down.
- You be you. Your Heavenly Father isn’t asking you to be like them.
- If it’s going good at the church and bad with the family, nothing is good.
- Your job as a coach is to make the players the best they can be.
- Leaders are needed the most when times are hard.
- The Fall called us to love the creation over the Creator.
- It’s a lack of gratitude that makes you envy others and that is sin.
- When was the last time you thought to yourself, “I deserve to be in hell?”.
- Why do we feel like we have to make the resurrection more exciting every Easter?
- Grace makes everyone say, “Man, I wish I had your dad.”
- When God interrupts our life, will we follow him?
- We run out of energy doing other things that we are unable to do the Father’s will.
- Focus is lost for two reasons: fear and greed.
- Pour intensity into things that matter. Don’t put a fish on it and drive poorly!
- The culture won’t respect you if you don’t come with excellence.
- When God wants to do an impossible task, he takes an impossible person and crushes him.
- We must be willing to leave the familiar methods without disturbing the biblical message.
- Leadership is about knowing and following Jesus.
- Sometimes we lose Jesus Christ in the pursuit of everything else.
- Jesus go in his mark for 1,059 days of ministry and the first 40 were in the wilderness.
- Developing a culture of trust is critical to the health and success of your organization.
I’ll post some more stuff in the future – great stuff. Still trying to process everything. Hope it blesses you.