If we truly desire godliness, Scripture memory must be prioritized in our lives. While the task can seem daunting, we have to start somewhere.
In this episode, discover some practical steps to go the 2nd mile in Scripture memory.
You can listen to the 2nd Mile Podcast above or download it on your favorite app (Anchor, Apple Podcasts, GooglePodcasts, Spotify, Breaker, Overcast, PocketCasts,
, Stitcher). Some of the main points are transcribed for you below as well. RadioPublic
The Purpose of Scripture Memory
- We must discipline our minds to have the words of the Bible accessible even when a copy of the Bible is not available.
- Something happens when the Word becomes portable with you. Your spiritual growth is exponential. The discipline of mediating and memorizing Scripture turns God’s Word Bible from a book on a shelf to words on a heart.
- Meditating on it day and night (Josh. 1:
8 ;Ps. 1:2 ), we lay these words on our hearts (Deut. 11:18 ) and they become the joy and delight of our hearts (Jer. 15:16). We store it in our hearts so that can stop sinning (Ps. 119:11 ). We are to have it dwell so richly within us that it comes out in what we teach to others (Col. 3:16 ).
The Power of Scripture Memory
- Joshua 1:8 – From Joshua’s example, we see that Scripture memory:
- Calms – Memorizing Scripture stills our heart when we are fearful regarding our circumstances.
- Reminds – Memorizing Scripture is a tangible expression of the presence of God in our lives.
- Equips – Memorizing Scripture allows us to speak God’s Word rather than our opinions.
- Focuses – Memorizing Scripture gives us truth to meditate upon throughout the day and night.
- Directs – Memorizing Scripture gives us clear applications of obedience in our lives.
- Benefits – Memorizing Scripture provides beneficial success in our lives.
The Path of Scripture Memory
- RESEARCH which important verses you need to memorize first.
- REWRITE the verse into some type of collection tool.
- READ the verse out loud numerous times.
- RECITE out loud by sections until you can say the complete verse.
- REFER to the book, chapter, and verse before and after reciting it.
- REPEAT the verse until you have mastered it.
- REVIEW the verse through intentional accountability systems.
GET THE 2ND MILE ON YOUR FAVORITE APP
You can listen to the 2nd Mile Podcast here or download it on your favorite app below. Some of the main points are transcribed for you below as well.