If you haven’t heard, I am teaching REL 101 at Lander in the Fall. It will be Tuesdays-Thursdays from 9:45-11:15 (weird timings in the Fall). We still have room, so sign up when you get a chance. The class is called Sacred Texts and Ideas and here is the course description:
This course introduces students to the reading of sacred texts and the vital role of religion in human experience. Texts will be examined with a focus upon literary and cultural dimensions that produce patterns of belief, ritual, and human action. Three semester hours.
Here are the top 10 reasons you should take my class at Lander:
- You get credit for listening to me talk (some of you come to church and volunteer that effort, now you actually can get college credit for it)!
- From time to time, I’ll bring gummy bears and sour patch kids to class just because I’m a nice guy.
- You will be forced to abandon your parents’ faith and discover your own.
- You will be educated in the scriptures of other faiths besides your own.
- We will look at the arguments to prove or disprove the existence of God.
- Your major project will focus on studying and defending the message and the credibility of the scripture of your choice.
- We’ll take field trips to Starbucks. To learn about ancient meditation rituals…
- Your textbook contains a whole bunch of sacred texts from every major religion.
- From time to time, I might bring my newborn son in as a guest lecturer.
- You’ll learn how to graciously handle one of the most sensitive issues in our world right now: God and religion.
So if you haven’t signed up yet, get after it! It’s going to be a fun semester.