Do you ever get to one of those places in your life where you really, really want to follow Jesus? I’m not talking about simply being involved in religious activity, I mean, do you ever truly desire to follow Jesus the way He commanded us?
In Chuck Colson’s book, How Now Shall We Live?, he writes of a lady who asked her husband in church one day this stinging question:
“What if we really lived by what we say we believe?”
What would happen if we actually started taking the commands of Scripture literally? What would happen if we truly started following Jesus?
- We would be more committed to authentic worship than concerns of pleasing people (Is. 29:13).
- We would forgive and forgive and forgive those who hurt and hurt and hurt (Matt. 18:32-33).
- We would realize that true religion is to care for the orphans and widows of the world (James 1:27).
- We would gladly realize that persecution is a part of following Jesus (2 Tim. 3:12).
- We would not give out of abundance but we would give everything we have (Mark 12:44).
- We would go until all had heard (Matt. 24:14).
- We would pursue holiness like it was our job (Eph. 5:3).
- We would eagerly sacrifice for the people in our home (Col. 3:13-14).
- We would love God and others extremely (Matt. 12:30-31).
What could you do today in order to follow Jesus?