“Enter His Gates” was written for “The Word” project to cover the Psalms and the organization of worship for the nation of Israel in the Old Testament.
This song is actually a few years old around North Side. I wrote it a few years ago as we were looking into recording projects in-house. I have always loved Psalm 100 and love the idea of entering in worship rather than enter and then worship.
Entering with worship is very different from entering in worship.
- As we set out to compose a song for the corporate worship of the Old Testament, we began working through a few ideas. Eventually, I asked the question: “Will we be able to compose something better than Psalm 100?” Since this was an original composition a few years earlier, we thought it fit great in the timeline and even served as a great link between the songs around it.
- “Our God Is With Us” was a reminder of the covenant. “Return to Me was a warning to the people concerning breaking the covenant. “Enter His Gates” in the middle reminded that he had been faithful to all the generations. Praise him for his goodness but stay close…
- We added some other Psalm passages to be read as we built the song musically.
- The singers also did a fantastic job of creating some swelling oohs and aahs at the beginning that provided so much depth to the song.
- Parker Edison did a great job of taking this song to the next level. As a graduating college student about to move away, Parker has served as a great evangelist, disciple-maker, worship leader, and friend. I told him to put some gospel on this song and he did great with the arrangement.
- Angela McCall’s ad libs take the song to another level as well. We had worked on them long and hard in my office a few years ago to get the parts just right. I think I remember telling her to channel her inner Nicole C. Mullens (“I know that I know that I know that I know…”).
- The song is simple. The psalm is simple. I often hear people bash worship songs when they were few on words. If they are the correct, biblical words, how are we going to be able to add anything to that?
Chord Chart: Enter His Gates – Bb
Enter His gates with thanksgiving
Enter His courts with praise
O, give thanks to Him and bless His holy name
For the Lord is good, the Lord is good
His mercy endures forever
His faithfulness, His faithfulness
Continues through all generations
- Let There Be (Creation)
- How We’ve Fallen (The Fall)
- No One Like Our God (Exodus)
- The Ten Commandments (Law)
- Our God Is With Us (Covenant)
- Enter His Gates (Psalms)
- Return to Me (Prophets)
- How Long O LORD (Exile)
- Fear Not (Incarnation)
- Amazed (Jesus’ Ministry)
- What a Savior (Passion Week)
- Come Holy Spirit (Pentecost)
- Day By Day (Church)
- You Alone Are God (Trinity)
- Your Word (Epistles)
- Faithful and True (Revelation)