“Your Word” was written for “The Word” project to cover the time and the themes covered by the New Testament Epistles.
“The Word” project was somewhat simple to begin songwriting on Creation, Exodus, Pentecost, etc. Big events to tackle but they were at least manageable to get our heads around them regarding a starting point.
But what do we do with these epistles?
These 21 letters compose the majority of our theology and comprise a huge percentage of the New Testament.
As they are written to different churches with different situations, we couldn’t neglect the content but it also seemed impossible to summarize the content.
- Months ago, I had a wedding in Hartsville and had some time to drive. During that trip, I prayed and thought through how to pull this song off. I had this idea about using one thematic verse from each book as a line in the song. What if we could sing through one of these iconic phrases? What if we could find one from Romans to Jude and every one in between and sing it out in one song? It seemed like a satisfactory idea but I wondered if it could be accomplished.
- After the wedding rehearsal, I went back to the hotel to get some sleep. The next morning, I got up, got some breakfast, and then started reading through the epistles. With my Bible open, Evernote up, guitar strapped on, I tried to work out this idea.
- Much of songwriting is laborious, but then there are those times when it comes so quickly. In this instance, I could barely type the words out quickly enough before I needed to get to the other book. The crazy thing was how it felt like one linear song as one book’s line would lead in perfectly into the next book.
- Eventually, housekeeping was knocking on the door and I had to beg for five more minutes so I could finish and pack my stuff!
- When I got home and was able to share what happened with the band, they were so excited to hear it and loved how God’s Word put the song together. I then used many of their abilities to really craft the lyrics and melody lines. While much of it was done in the hotel that day, the rest of it was tweaked and improved by many folks in our band.
- As we sang it, the graphic would turn through the pages of a Bible with the names of the books as we went through each book.
- Richenda Brown did an incredible job with this song. With such long phrases and spots that open up, her precision vocally took this song through the roof. Incredible.
- Bear Kilgore came up with an incredible symphonic hook for the song. When it starts playing, I get so excited about what we are about to sing!
I love these words because they remind me of who I am in Christ.
Chord Chart: Your Word – F
O, I am not ashamed of the gospel for it’s the power of God to save (Rom. 1:16)
The word of the cross may be rejected but it’s the message I proclaim (1 Co. 1:18)
For I am a new creation, the new has come, the old has passed away (2 Cor. 5:17)
I have been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who live (Gal. 2:20)
I have been saved by grace through faith, not of my works but by his gift (Eph. 2:8)
And whatever was gain for me, I count it loss for the sake of Christ (Phil. 3:7-8)
I have been raised along with Christ, setting my mind on things above (Col. 3:1-2)
One day he’ll come like a thief in the night, I hope in the coming of our Lord (1 Thess. 4:15; 5:2)
When I am faithless, he is faithful, he will guard me from the evil one (2 Thess. 3:3)
Jesus Christ came to save sinners, there is no sinner worse than me (1 Tim. 1:15)
By all the Scriptures God has breathed out, I am equipped for all good things (2 Tim. 3:16-17)
For the grace of God gives salvation, and turning me from these worldly things (Titus 2:11-12)
For the sake of Christ in me (Phile. 1:6)
I’ll lay down the sin which clings (Heb. 12:1)
I will do your word and not hear only (James 1:22)
I will suffer for your name (1 Pet. 3:17)
I will grow within your grace (2 Pet. 3:18)
Greater is the one who lives inside of me (1 John 4:8)
Your truth still abides in me (2 John 1:2)
I will teach it faithfully (3 John 1:4)
To the only God be glory forevermore (Jude 1:25)
- Let There Be (Creation)
- How We’ve Fallen (The Fall)
- No One Like Our God (Exodus)
- The Ten Commandments (Law)
- Our God Is With Us (Covenant)
- Enter His Gates (Psalms)
- Return to Me (Prophets)
- How Long O LORD (Exile)
- Fear Not (Incarnation)
- Amazed (Jesus’ Ministry)
- What a Savior (Passion Week)
- Come Holy Spirit (Pentecost)
- Day By Day (Church)
- You Alone Are God (Trinity)
- Your Word (Epistles)
- Faithful and True (Revelation)