“You Alone Are God” was written for “The Word” project to cover the doctrine of the Trinity and to worship every member of the Godhead.
I wanted to address the Trinity, but where do you begin? The Trinity is hard to explain in teaching or in writing, how would we begin to do it in a song?
Here’s how: three verses being sung at the same time that are uniquely different yet somehow converge together.
- While the word “Trinity” is not in the Bible, the concept is taught front to back. From the opening words of Genesis using a plural noun with a singular verb (Gen. 1:1), to the statement “let us make man in our image” (Gen. 1:26), the announcement of Jesus’ birth (Luke 1:35), Jesus’ baptism (Matt. 3:16-17), Great Commission (Matt. 28:18-20), and many more instances (that you can read about here) the doctrine of the Trinity can be found throughout the pages of Scripture.
- The idea was to write a verse about God the Father, a verse about God the Son, and a verse about God the Spirit. Each line could be sung by itself, but they could also be sung together.
- We used chording that has a sense of progression and building upon one another.
- We treated each verse as a separate song but then harmonized on just the last phrase (“you alone are God”).
- Altos sang Father verse, men sang Jesus verse, and sopranos sang Holy Spirit verse.
- Due to making this song just right, we were about 2 hours from cutting it. I loved the idea, but we couldn’t get the right lines with the right voicings. It was proving to be very complex to make it simple.
- As I was telling my wife about canning the song, we worked on it in the kitchen one night after putting the kids to bed. She began to sing on the spot the beautiful line that you hear for the verse on the Holy Spirit and it came together in a span of moments.
- I am so thankful we didn’t cut it. It is one of my favorite moments of worship on this project and outside of this project. I love what happens theologically and musically through it.
Chord Chart: You Alone Are God – F
Father, we worship You in spirit and in truth
Oh, how we love You, You alone are God
Jesus, name above all names, the Author and the Finisher of faith
Receive all honor and all praise, You alone are God
Holy Spirit, perfect heaven’s gift, come to help in our weakness
Come to teach us truth and dwell in us, You alone are God
- Let There Be (Creation)
- How We’ve Fallen (The Fall)
- No One Like Our God (Exodus)
- The Ten Commandments (Law)
- Our God Is With Us (Covenant)
- Enter His Gates (Psalms)
- Return to Me (Prophets)
- How Long O LORD (Exile)
- Fear Not (Incarnation)
- Amazed (Jesus’ Ministry)
- What a Savior (Passion Week)
- Come Holy Spirit (Pentecost)
- Day By Day (Church)
- You Alone Are God (Trinity)
- Your Word (Epistles)
- Faithful and True (Revelation)