This weekend was incredible. We had 2 great nights of worship that we called “The Old Rugged Cross” followed by 2 incredible Sunday morning worship gatherings.
As we prayed and thought through what we wanted to do on Good Friday and Saturday, we decided to do an Easter hymn-sing. The last few years we have done something very different. We composed music around Jesus’ life in “Knowing Jesus” and the entire narrative of the Bible in last year’s “The Word.”
This year, we wanted to dial things back a bit and create a contemplative hymn sing around some fantastic songs that have been around for a while.
Our rules for the hymns we used were:
- Cannot change the melody
- Cannot change the time signature
- Chords can change
- Keep the key singable
- Each group (we had 3 subgroups with a listing of 4 songs each) can only add a chorus or refrain on one song from their set
The Mixing Begins
Both nights were incredible. While I am taking the day off from work today, the work begins tomorrow of making those nights into a new album.
We recorded both Friday and Saturday night and will start the process of going through the files and beginning the process of mixing it to have an album to you very soon.
“The Old Rugged Cross” will be available on CD and on iTunes in the later part of April – that means we got some work to do! We listened to some of the files briefly Saturday night, and I just love hearing the crowd worship. Without touching anything yet, it already sounds great! Can’t wait till you can hear it too!
In the meantime, I wanted to share the track listing of songs you can be expecting.
- The Old Rugged Cross
- When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
- At the Cross
- Hallelujah! What a Savior
- There Is Power in the Blood
- There Is a Fountain
- Nothing But the Blood
- Are You Washed in the Blood?
- Grace Greater Than Our Sin
- I Stand Amazed
- Crown Him With Many Crowns
- Jesus Paid It All
- Christ the Lord Is Risen Today (with the Hallelujah Chorus)