Day 1’s sermon at Fuge 2016 was from Matthew 16:13-28 and entitled “Wikigod.” The concept is that we are prone to try and change the identity of God. We don’t like what we find out about him, so we change him to meet our preferences. This was the first full sermon from the “Unashamed” theme.
- “In the beginning, God created man in his own image, and man has been trying to repay the favor ever since.” -Voltaire
- It doesn’t matter what I think about God. It matters what God thinks about God.
- What appears as valiant efforts to know God are actually devious attempts to dethrone God.
- “What comes to your mind when you think about God is the most important thing about you.” -Tozer
- Jesus didn’t praise Peter’s response because it was personal – because it was correct!
- Man doesn’t come up with truth; God reveals truth.
- The cross would distort the image of God who Peter thought the Christ should be.
- Peter was made in the image of God, and now he wanted to repay the favor.
- Jesus built his church on the truth – not on the opinion.