Series: The Gathering 2016 // Scripture: 1 Timothy 4:6-16
What are the essential spiritual disciplines each believer needs in the pursuit of holiness?
- Salvation is not the finishing line – it is the starting line.
- If there is a true profession of faith, there should be a true progression of faith.
- We remember justification, we anticipate glorification, but we are neglecting sanctification.
- Justification – the declaration of holiness
- Sanctification – the process of holiness
- Glorification – the completion of holiness
1 Timothy 4:6-16
- If your goal is anything other than godliness, then your spiritual disciplines will be more drudgery than delight.
- Spiritual disciplines are not meant to make you more liked by Jesus but to make you more like Jesus.
- You cannot lead a biblical life if you do not know biblical truth.
- Imagine the health of one’s soul if he or she spent as much time developing it as he or she spent on the body.
3 Daily Spiritual Disciplines
1. Pray the Word
- We can be talking to the most fascinating Person in the universe about the most important things in our lives and be bored to death…the problem is not you; it is your method. -Donald Whitney
- All Scripture is inspired by God. Psalms are inspired for God.
- Psalms exist because we do not know how to speak to one so glorious.
Pray – Using the day of the month, pray through that psalm or an increment of 30.
Day 1 – 1, 31, 61, 91, 121
Day 30 – 30, 60, 90, 120, 150
Day 31 – 119
2. Study the Word
- Select a Bible reading plan and take reasonable steps to work your way through the whole counsel of God.
- Devotionals often spend 3% on God’s Word and 97% on man’s word.
- God’s Word is living and active. Man’s word is limited and arbitrary.
- Don’t read the Bible like a yearbook or a textbook. Study it as a guidebook.
7 Reasons Your Bible Reading Is Inconsistent
- You don’t know where the finish line is.
- You attempt a marathon before you completed a lap.
- You don’t have a workout partner.
- You get stagnate with your time because you don’t have an adequate amount of time.
- You aren’t preparing yourself for success.
- You never push yourself.
- You forget the purpose for why you are running.
Bible Reading Plans
- Gospel Project
- 100-Day Chronological
- Chronological Plan
- M’Cheyne Plan
- 5-Day Reading Plan
- 90-Day Challenge
- Prof. Horner’s Reading System
- Book Order
- Book Checklist
3. Memorize the Word
- Create a list of verses you need ready at all times and commit to a review process that you can manage.
- I will memorize Scripture as much as I hate sin.
- We must discipline our minds to have the Bible accessible even when the Bible is not available.
- Scripture memory positions me to speak God’s Word rather than my opinion.
Scripture Memory List
- Establish fighter verses.
- Strengthen abstract verses.
- Include pivotal verses.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
- Loves Jesus
- Learns Truth
- Lives It Out
- Leads Others
For Ezra had set his heart to study the Law of the Lord, and to do it and to teach his statutes and rules in Israel.