On August 18, we begin an 8-week sermon series called Distinctive Discipleship. This has been a 20-month process of prayer, study, and practice to help craft a plan for how we truly make disciples in our church and beyond.
I cannot overstate this hope of mine: I do not plan on this being a sermon series we engage with for 2 months and then move on to something else. I believe that if we utilize these biblical principles, we can continue to use these strategies for the rest of our lives. Through this biblical framework, I believe we can be a church that truly makes disciples.
If every Christian has unique opportunities and challenges, why do we think that a generalized approach will work for everyone?
We don’t need ministry templates; we need distinctive discipleship. We often use widespread efforts hoping it will meet everyone where they are. Our needs are too vast to expect success without addressing specific needs among unique individuals. Using this biblical guide, we will learn how to be distinctive disciples making distinctive disciples.
- August 18, 2019 – Help for the Uniquely Stagnate Christian [Colossians 1:27-29] – If you feel like you are stuck in your Christian walk, then it is time to start moving again. The solution for spiritual stagnation is distinctive discipleship.
- August 25, 2019 – Delight: Finding Your Necessary Motive [Matthew 13:44] – If unhealthy expectations fuel our reasoning for spiritual growth, we will eventually stall out. Our growth must be motivated by delight rather than obligation.
- September 1, 2019 – Disobedience: Confronting Your Sinful Leanings [1 Corinthians 10:1-13] – While we all struggle with sin, we are each prone to wander in different ways. For those confronting disobedience in their own lives, God provides a path of escape through every temptation.
- September 8, 2019 – Doctrine: Strengthening Your Uncertain Beliefs [Hebrews 5:11-6:3] – While we all know some degree of biblical knowledge, we each should probably know a little bit more by now. Committed disciples need to strengthen any uncertain beliefs by
- September 15, 2019 – Development: Cultivating Your Needed Maturity [Ephesians 4:11-16] – God has created us for and called us to unique tasks. As particularly gifted and positioned disciples, we each should pursue the needed maturity to do what God has called us to accomplish.
- September 22, 2019 – Discipline: Training Your Soul’s Habits [1 Timothy 4:6-16] – Every dedicated disciple must employ spiritual disciplines in order to grow for the long haul. Through these disciplines, you train the habits necessary for your soul.
- September 29, 2019 – Dependence: Acknowledging Your Desperate Need [John 15:1-11] – In our discipleship efforts, we never reach the point where we can depend upon our own strength. Apart from Jesus, we can do nothing.
- October 6, 2019 –The Progression of Faith [2 Peter 1:3-15] – If there is a true profession of faith, there should be a true progression of faith. While you have not arrived at complete spiritual maturity yet, you should be making progress.
I pray you don’t miss a Sunday and that God does something in our midst for only which He can be responsible!