Today’s service continued in our “Sticks and Stones” series at North Side. This week, our church focused on “Godly Words for Personal Gain.” As we have talked about our speech, it is important to emphasize number 3 on the 10 Commandments: thou shalt not take the Lord’s name in vain (or as Voddie Baucham would say, “Don’t mess with my name”).
As Jeff pointed out, too many people associate this command with merely cursing. While that isn’t a good speech practice, it is also dangerous to attach God’s name carelessly to things that he has no part of. You make his name empty or vain. People can do this when they say, “God told me to…I know that God says this, but I think it is OK to do that…” and many other ways.
You can listen to the message here.
Today, we worshiped to the following songs:
- Heart of Worship – Matt Redman
- Made to Worship – Chris Tomlin
- Your Grace is Enough – Matt Maher
- You are a Holy God – Brian Duane (of Vineyard UK)
- Make Me Holy – Travis Agnew
Just a reminder:
- Thanksgiving Gathering – next Sunday night, come to the auditorium at 5:00 for worship and then dessert fellowship afterward
- First Fruits – next Sunday morning, bring your best gift towards your pledge for the Now Campaign to be taken up Sunday morning
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.