We wrapped up our “Until He Comes” series today. Studying 1 & 2 Thessalonians has been so powerful and timely!
Our services came together like this:
- To God Be the Glory – The Alone Instrument
- How Deep the Father’s Love for Us – Kings’ Kaleidoscope
- Prayer Time
- O the Deep Deep Love – Sovereign Grace
- Christ Is Risen (Because He Lives tag) – Matt Maher
- Sermon – Godly Discipline
- There Is a Fountain – North Side Worship
Here are some of my notes from the sermon today:
- Even in exhortation, Paul maintains the sense of family (2 Thess. 3:6).
- Distance yourself from the disobedient (2 Thess. 3:6; 2 Thess. 3:14; cf. 1 Cor. 5:11).
- Ministers should set an example to imitate rather than seek a perk to anticipate (2 Thess. 3:7-10).
- If a man can work but doesn’t, he is not to eat (2 Thess. 3:10). God oftentimes provides food through work.
- You ought to be busy but not busybodies (2 Thess. 3:11).
- You can champion grace so much that you can cheapen it.
- I can’t simply be obedient to the things that make sense to me.
- Don’t enable disobedience (2 Thess. 3:6, 14).
- We cannot continue to live with one another and allow sin to go unchecked.
- Shaming someone is showing grace (2 Thess. 3:14).
- If we listen more to the world than the Word, we will look more like the disobedient than the obedient.
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.