Great time with our church family today. The worship team was great. The leadership and volunteers were getting after it all over the place. I loved getting to meet some new guests! The preacher was decent ;).
It was an honor to be able to preach today at North Side but also to be led by such a great team!
Order of Service
- Crown Him – Chris Tomlin
- Lord, I Need You – Matt Maher
- Prayer Time
- Video – True and Better
- How Deep the Father’s Love for Us – Stuart Townend
- It Is Finished – North Side Worship
- Sermon – Fear Not, For I Am With You (Is. 41)
- Our God Is With Us – North Side Worship
- God invites the people to try to renew their strength apart from his (Is. 41:1; cf. Is. 40:31).
- This remnant faced a challenging journey back home – needed to be reminded (Is. 41:2).
- The coastlands are the most distant from the Promised Land.
- God can use unconverted world leaders to further his work and his people (Is. 41:2-4; cf. Rom. 9:17; Acts 4:24-28).
- God is stirring up Cyrus (Is. 41:2) to anoint him (Is. 45:1) as shepherd (Is. 44:28) of the people and as a bird of prey towards their enemies (Is. 46:11). This pagan king would do the King of Kings’ bidding.
- The LORD is the first and the last (Is. 41:4; cf. Rev. 1:17).
- These fearful surrounding nations are manufacturing more idols to help – how pathetic (Is. 41:5-7)!
- Crippled by fear, they are mustering strength trying to convince one another that their idols will be enough (Is. 41:5-7).
- Self-esteem lets me down, but Christ esteem sets me free!
- God desires me (Is. 41:8-9)!
- God takes worms (Is. 41:14) and makes them friends (Is. 41:8-9).
- The greatest promise of God is the presence of God (Is. 41:10).
- God’s presence is the only promise powerful enough to subside my fears.
- God is beside me, over me, inside me, around me, and under me (Is. 41:10).
- No one messes with God’s children (Is. 41:11-13).
- Babylon can’t stop this, Cyrus can’t take credit for this, because God is controlling this.
- It is impossible to fear your circumstances when you truly fear your God.
- Stop thinking about my inadequacy, and start focusing on God’s sufficiency.
- The LORD says, “fear not,” seven times in this section (Is. 41:10, 13, 14; 43:1, 5; 44:2, 8).
- Worms are covered by dirt and filled with dirt, and that is what God calls us people (Is. 41:14).
- The two most pivotal truths about God’s people must be held simultaneously or they become dangerous isolated: 1) I am a worm; 2) I am loved by God.
- God never reassures people based on their potential but with his presence (Moses – Ex. 3:11-12; Joshua – Josh. 1:5, 9; Gideon – Judges 6:12; David – 1 Sam. 17:37; Ps. 23:1; Psalms – Ps. 46:1; Ps. 73:28; Jesus – Matt. 1:23; 28:20; Holy Spirit – John 16:7; Heaven – Rev. 21:3-4, 22-25).