Our love for God and others is contingent upon HIs love for us. We are incapable of loving another until we grasp the unfathomable love of God.
1 John 4:7-21
Since God Loves Us (4:7-12)
- Since God loves us, we should be known for our love for others.
- You can’t claim to know God if you don’t love the people He loves (4:7-8).
- The cross forbids us ever to question if God truly loves us (4:9-10).
- The tangible way we love others is what puts God’s love practically on display (4:11-12).
Since God Lives in Us (4:13-21)
- Since God lives in us, we should exhibit confidence that we will endure to the end.
- The presence of the Holy Spirit reminds us that we are never detached from God (4:13-16).
- The sacrifice of Jesus eliminates the fear from our lives that punishment still awaits us (4:17-18).
- The love of the Father robs us of any excuse as to why we can’t love others (4:19-21).
The greater we comprehend the love of God, the more natural our love will be for others.