As we continue in our Christology, we have now come to the section focusing on the supplication of the Christ. This is the prayer section of Jesus’ ministry and reminds us of God’s faithfulness.
Who taught you how to pray? How did they teach you?
When Jesus was on earth, the disciples saw unbelievable things happen before their eyes. When you encounter Jesus feed 5,000 men, heal every type of disease, walk on water, or be transfigured before your eyes, you probably would develop a list of things you would want Jesus to show you. We would all love a course on how to do the miraculous.
Interestingly enough, with all the disciples witnessed, they asked for Jesus to teach them one thing:
“He was praying in a certain place, and when He finished, one of His disciples said to Him, ‘Lord, teach us to pray, just as John also taught his disciples.’” -Luke 11:1
They knew that when Jesus prayed, stuff happened! With all the things they could ask Jesus, they wanted to learn how to pray like he prayed. In Matthew 6:9-13, we read Jesus’ answer to this question.
We’ve almost heard this prayer so much that we forget its power. Let’s study this prayer like it was our first time hearing it.
“Pray, then, in this way:
‘Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 ‘Your kingdom come.
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 ‘Give us this day our daily bread.
12 ‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 ‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.’] -Matthew 6:9-13
Here are the different sections as you study it:
- HONORING GOD – For what reasons do you have to honor God today? Think about who He is and what He has done. Get specific.
- COMMITTING TO FOLLOW GOD’S WILL – Is there anything that you need to do to follow God’s will? What is it?
- DEPENDING UPON GOD’S PROVISION – What needs do you need to put in the hands of God? What needs of those close to you could you pray for?
- FORGIVING OTHERS – Who do you need to forgive? For what?
- KEEPING US FROM TEMPTATION – Any areas that you need to ask God to keep you from certain temptation? What is it?
- PRAISING GOD – Any reasons to praise God? Do you have anything that God is deserving to hear from you?