That’s right. I’m calling you out, week. The week of Sept. 13-19, 2009, you are going to try to take me down, but you have been misinformed. Christ in me, the hope of glory. I will survive. The Holy Spirit lives in me, and I will not be shaken.
If I do waver this week, no worries – I have the church’s defibrillator on my desk.
Have you ever had one of those weeks? You believed you would make it, but you were not exactly how. I have had weeks where I poorly scheduled things and did it to myself. I deserved those stressful weeks. Honestly, this isn’t one of those weeks. All of these things are good, but they all happened the same week, but most of them I had no say so about the timing.
- Sunday – Regular church activities start at 7:30am. C-Group in evening. Emerald City Worship practice until 9:30pm.
- Monday – Regular office stuff. My office was relocated. It’s still a mess. They just updated my phone, so I now I have 15 messages waiting on me from the last couple of weeks. And have you seen my inbox? Facebook inbox, too? Geesh. Must get a lot of Elephant in Pew stuff done today.
- Tuesday – Emerald City Worship prep and service. Greenwood Community Theatre 7:00pm. Bring canned goods. Worship my heart out to Jesus.
- Wednesday – Office stuff again. Elephant in Pew more stuff. Prepare message for Lander BCM (a student got saved last week – praise Jesus). Get ready for band practice. Band practice.
- Thursday – Finish stuff up for week. Get December’s series from Jeff. Spend rest of day at home. Preach at Lander BCM at 9pm.
- Friday – Leave house at 5:30am for a 7 hour trek to Louisville, KY. Defend my dissertation to my doctoral committee from 2-3:30. Pick up revisions. Get out of coat and tie. Take another 7 hour trek to Charlotte to meet my family. Sleep.
- Saturday – Go to Department of Homeland Security to get fingerprinted for adoption. Go home. Rest.
That’s the stuff that if I don’t get done, I will get in trouble. But the most important stuff, are the relationships that this week will tempt me to neglect. In the middle of that, I must connect with Jesus everyday. I have to be a good husband and father. I’ve got some counseling appointments.
This week is going to be crazy, but I believe that God will not only get me through, but he will expand his Kingdom through my efforts for him this week. No matter how busy your week is, don’t neglect the most precious gifts that he has given you. I am carving out margins this week to make sure I can connect with my family. If I have to work at night, then I’m going home early. I will make adjustments for my family and not merely make excuses.
As I was writing this, NJ just walked in and told me I was the pastor on call this week – I just laughed out loud.
I’m excited. I’m not overwhelmed. I’m at peace. Jesus has given me so many opportunities. If you would like to pray for me this week, here are the two main prayer requests: 1) I make my priorities a priority, and 2) Jesus shows to be my strength when I am weak.
Thanks for your prayers! To God be the glory!
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.
You must be logged in to post a comment.