“Amazed” was written for “The Word” project to cover the time covering Jesus’ ministry.
While the three years of Christ’s ministry was relatively short in relation to the scope of the entire biblical narrative, those years changed everything.
- In searching for a summary word or statement for the ministry of Jesus, we realized that people were constantly amazed at the identity and the activity of Jesus. In fact, “amazed” was used repeatedly in the Gospels which led us to that as the title (Luke 5:10; Luke 2:47; Matt. 12:23; Mark 1:22; Luke 4:36; Matt. 15:31; Matt. 21:20; Mark 9:15; Matt. 22:22).
- The chorus rallied around the beginning of Jesus’ ministry with John the Baptist clearing the way all the way to his triumphal entry into Jerusalem the week of the Passion (“rise up, make way for the King”).
- The verses took shape around the 7 “I AM” statements of Jesus in the Gospel of John (John 6:48; John 8:12; John 10:9; John 10:11; John 11:25; John 14:6; John 15:1). To be accurate, we kept them in order (4 in the 1st verse, 3 in the 2nd verse).
- The bridge wanted to highlight all the different things that Jesus did throughout his ministry. The fast-paced nature of it was to emulate Mark’s Gospel in how “immediately” was used so many times. Jesus’ ministry was fast-paced and as soon as he finished one thing, he was already doing something else. It is hard to catch your breath on the bridge and that was intentional.
- We organized the instrumentation of the song trying to feel like a party in the Jerusalem streets. What would it feel like the day when the King rode into town? We wanted it to sound organic, festive, and like there was dirt on the ground around us.
- Eric Bryant and Richenda Brown did a fantastic job of providing the passionate and festive vocals for this song. So much honesty and energy – love it!
- We used a lot of more organic instruments to make it feel like it could have been sung on the street corners of Jerusalem.
Chord Chart: Amazed – G
Jesus, the bread of life, hope of eternity
O great, light of the world, shining for all who will see
He is the door to salvation, come, enter in
He is the true and good shepherd, his life laid down for our sin
Rise up, make way for the King
Jesus is Lord and salvation he brings
Stand up, let His name be praised
For all He has done, we stand here amazed
Jesus, our resurrection, the power of death has grown dim
The way, the truth and the life, come to the Father through him
He is the vine which we cling to, in him abide
We can do nothing without him, on him we still will rely
He has done the impossible, loved the unlovable, nothing’s too hard for our King
He has humbled the highest, and brightened the darkest, for nothing’s too far from his reach
He has called the unworthy, he’s covered with mercy, of his grace and truth we will sing
- Let There Be (Creation)
- How We’ve Fallen (The Fall)
- No One Like Our God (Exodus)
- The Ten Commandments (Law)
- Our God Is With Us (Covenant)
- Enter His Gates (Psalms)
- Return to Me (Prophets)
- How Long O LORD (Exile)
- Fear Not (Incarnation)
- Amazed (Jesus’ Ministry)
- What a Savior (Passion Week)
- Come Holy Spirit (Pentecost)
- Day By Day (Church)
- You Alone Are God (Trinity)
- Your Word (Epistles)
- Faithful and True (Revelation)