Christ Have Mercy (Titus 3:1-8) – We will never do enough good works to earn God’s favor. Our only hope for salvation is if Christ shows us mercy.
Objection #1: I’ve Been Hurt by the Church (Titus 3:1-2)
- The local church should be a force for good within the community.
We should make it difficult for others to hate the message because they love the messengers.
Objection #2: I’m Annoyed by Holier-Than-Thou Christians (Titus 3:3)
- We should be kind to sinners like “them” because God was kind to sinners like “us.”
- The worst kind of Christian is the one who has forgotten what he or she was like before Christ.
Objection #3: I’m a Good Enough Person (Titus 3:4-5)
- I will never muster up enough good works to impress God.
- Even our purest actions come from the impurest of motives.
Objection #4: I’m Not Sure God Could Love Me (Titus 3:4-5)
- If you have ever wondered if God loved you, you need not look any further than the cross.
- Not only does Christ offer mercy for the sinner’s condition, he provides mercy by taking the sinner’s place.
Objection #5: I’ve Never Seen a Change in Me (Titus 3:5-8)
- Righteousness is always the fruit and never the root.
- Jesus offers a new life (regeneration) and a new way of life (renewal).
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.