Fuge 2017 – Convergence
2 Samuel 9; cf. Rom. 5
The King’s Pursuit (2 Sam. 9:1-5)
- The king was more concerned with keeping his promise than he was securing his protection.
- Grace seeks out those who are unqualified to give them what is undeserved.
- Grace finds us hiding helplessly in barren places.
The Servant’s Response (2 Sam. 9:6-8)
- Being discovered by the king while in hiding is not a welcomed encounter.
- The king showed kindness based on the promise of his word and for the sake of the father.
- You can’t appreciate the King’s amazing grace until you accept the King’s appropriate wrath.
The Table’s Arrangement (2 Sam. 9:9-13)
- Grace transforms fugitives into family.
- Grace restores what was lost (9), provides what was lacking (10), and covers what was broken (13).
- When the king makes you his own, you will forever feast at his table.
- While we were still weak, While we were still sinners, While we were his enemies.
- I am Jesus’ Mephibosheth.
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.