As David encountered testing trials, he confessed that his sure hope in this life and the next was in none other than the LORD. If we desire to rediscover joy, we must reorient our focus upon the only one who can provide it.
Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
2 I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you.”
3 As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones,
in whom is all my delight.
4 The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;
their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
or take their names on my lips.
5 The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
7 I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
8 I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your holy one see corruption.
11 You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Joy Is Not Found in Yourself [Ps. 16:1-2]
- If God isn’t your refuge, you are unfortunately trusting in something or someone far less reliable.
- Anything good in me did not come from me.
Joy Is Not Found in Bad Companions [Ps. 16:3-4]
- People who want to become more godly resolve to spend time around more godly people
. Aligningyourself with halfhearted religious people will dilute your own beliefs and behaviors.
Joy Is Not Found in Worldly Possessions [Ps. 16:5-6]
- Gaining God’s presence while losing the world’s treasures is never a consolation prize.
- A sign of mature faith is when you realize that God is all you have and you resolve that God is all you want
. Howcould I complain about what I lack for a few decades knowing what will be mine for an eternity?
Joy Is Found in God’s Presence [Ps. 16:7-11]
- If you meditate on God’s counsel, it will be readily available when you need it most.
- God should be the supreme joy in my life and after my death.
- Walking in God’s path brings a joy unrivaled by any other direction.
- If I am absent of joy, I am distant from God
. Thegreatest lasting pleasure is securely positioned at the right hand of God – Jesus.
What brings you the greatest joy today
- Your Progress
- Your Companions
- Your Possessions
- Your God