David dismayed the effects that atheism has on a person and on
- Atheist– believes there is “no God”
- Agnostic– believes there is “no knowledge” to determine if God exists
- Practical Atheist– denies God with a careless lifestyle
14 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds;
there is none who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of man,
to see if there are any who understand,
who seek after God.
3 They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt;
there is none who does good,
not even one.
4 Have they no knowledge, all the evildoers
who eat up my people as they eat bread
and do not call upon the Lord?
5 There they are in great terror,
for God is with the generation of the righteous.
6 You would shame the plans of the poor,
but the Lord is his refuge.
7 Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!
When the Lord restores the fortunes of his people,
let Jacob rejoice, let Israel be glad.
The Atheist Doesn’t Seek God [Ps. 14:1-3]
- “Fool” doesn’t mean one who is mentally lacking but one who is morally deficient (14:1).
- The soul unable to believe in God’s existence is unable to live according to God’s righteousness (14:1).
- If I deny the One who is good, I cannot do good (14:1).
- Sin is our reckless attempt to live as if there is no God (14:2-3).
God Still Seeks the Atheist [Ps. 14:4-7]
- Resisting God eventually leads to persecuting God’s people (14:4).
- Atheists seek to ease their consciences by silencing believers through frantic, antagonistic efforts (14:5).
- The perseverance of believers is a final reminder to atheists that God exists, and He keeps those who belong to Him (14:6).
- While atheists refuse to seek God, He still pursues them (14:7).
- We were all practical atheists before God sought us (14:1, 5).
- Jesus is the salvation that comes down from Zion (14:7).
Next Step: Do you have an intellectual or practical atheist for whom you are praying and preparing will receive the gospel?
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.