David had experienced God’s deliverance repeatedly during his life, and so have we. Such a constant help deserves more than an occasional offering.
34 I will bless the Lord at all times;
his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2 My soul makes its boast in the Lord;
let the humble hear and be glad.
3 Oh, magnify the Lord with me,
and let us exalt his name together!
4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me
and delivered me from all my fears.
5 Those who look to him are radiant,
and their faces shall never be ashamed.
6 This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him
and saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the Lord encamps
around those who fear him, and delivers them.
8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
9 Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints,
for those who fear him have no lack!
10 The young lions suffer want and hunger;
but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
11 Come, O children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
12 What man is there who desires life
and loves many days, that he may see good?
13 Keep your tongue from evil
and your lips from speaking deceit.
14 Turn away from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it.
15 The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous
and his ears toward their cry.
16 The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,
to cut off the memory of them from the earth.
17 When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears
and delivers them out of all their troubles.
18 The Lord is near to the brokenhearted
and saves the crushed in spirit.
19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
but the Lord delivers him out of them all.
20 He keeps all his bones;
not one of them is broken.
21 Affliction will slay the wicked,
and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
22 The Lord redeems the life of his servants;
none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned.
Worshipping Lifestyle [Ps. 34:1-3]
- God is so deserving of our worship that a single hour once a week will not suffice (34:1).
- Prideful people struggle to worship God because the focus isn’t on them (34:2).
- Vibrant worship should have a contagious element to it (34:3).
Delivered Lifestyle [Ps. 34:4-7]
- When fear arrests your soul, it is an indication that you believe something to be more powerful than God (34:4).
- Radiant believers are not those with perfect circumstances but proper perspective (34:5-6).
- The fear of the LORD is the only acceptable enduring fear (34:7).
Satisfied Lifestyle [Ps. 34:8-14]
- When you are full of the LORD, every other offering looks less appetizing than it did before (34:8).
- God does not withhold any necessary thing from his children (34:9-10).
- If you want to enjoy life to its fullest, live it according to the One who designed it (34:11-14).
Persevering Lifestyle [Ps. 34:15-22]
- God’s presence will often be felt more in those moments of desperation (34:15-18).
- Afflictions come to all people, but only God’s people can withstand them (34:19-21).
- God will never abandon those who seek refuge in Him (34:22).
NEXT STEP: Do you feel like you have a daily walk with God or an occasional sprint with religion?
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.