In Paul’s final remarks, he recognized the church’s maturity due to their willingness to meet the needs of others. God often supplies our needs through the help of one another.
God supplies every need by every believer giving every way they can.
14 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. 15 And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. 16 Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. 18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.
21 Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me greet you. 22 All the saints greet you, especially those of Caesar’s household.
23 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.
We Give for Gospel Partnerships (4:14-16)
- Some churches budget to entertain the members while others budget to engage the mission.
- If you have received the benefits from a ministry, you should seek to be a blessing of that ministry.
We Give for God’s Pleasure (4:17-18)
- If I neglect the opportunities to be generous, the church won’t miss out, but I will.
- The discreet nature of giving brilliantly means that God is the only one who truly knows how you give.
We Give With Assured Provision (4:19-20)
- You will never give to God beyond what God has given to you.
- God will not allow your needs to go unmet as you seek to meet the needs of others.
We Give With Anticipated Results (4:21-23)
- The church functions at its best when we each take personal responsibility.
- When we give of ourselves to gospel efforts, we have the unique privilege of actually joining God at work.
We will not all have the same amount of money, but we should each strive to have the same type of mindset.