As God placed His stamp upon Adam and Eve, He intended them to spread that image throughout the world. He calls families to be fruitful and multiply through their homes.
And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth” (Genesis 1:28).
- Just as God formed and filled the earth, He called Adam and Eve to continue that process.
- We further form the world by using our gifts to cultivate the opportunities He has given.
- We further fill the world by delivering and developing disciples.
- Prosperous vs. Poor – How has the financial situation of your childhood affected the way you approach financial decisions now?
- Position vs. Passion – How important is it to have a sense of fulfillment from your job?
- Spender vs. Saver – How does your spending habit affect your marriage?
- Planner vs. Plodder – How forward-thinking are you regarding financial planning compared to your spouse?
- Greedy vs. Giver – What level of generosity is your natural inclination?
Two things I ask of you; deny them not to me before I die: Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, “Who is the LORD?” or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God (Proverbs 30:7-9).
- Make as much as you can.
- Budget as much as you have.
- Give as much as you are able.
- Save as much as you need.
- Spend as much as is reasonable.
Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate (Psalm 127:3-5).
- Example vs. Exception – How would you describe your family life growing up and how would you want to change that for your family?
- Burden vs. Blessing – What is your perspective on having children?
- Minimum vs. Maximum – Do you agree on how many children is a “quiver full?”
- Defense vs. Discipleship – Is your goal behavior management or biblical discipleship?
- Milestone vs. Maturity – How do we know when our parenting roles change?
- Take full responsibility for the spiritual development of your children.
- Ensure that you align yourself with a disciple-making church.
- Prioritize spiritual pursuits and regulate worldly obsessions.
- Take what you have and teach your children with it.
- Continue learning and teaching from the overflow.
- Your responsibility as a parent will vary throughout the years, but your role will not.
For I told him that I would judge his family forever because of the sin he knew about; his sons blasphemed God, and he failed to restrain them (1 Samuel 3:13).