The study of God is the essential discipline to get accurate during our lifetimes. This course will study four significant doctrines: pneumatology, soteriology, ecclesiology, and eschatology.
Why Theology Is Important
- If we confuse God’s truth among our opinions, we will never discover who God truly is.
- Our standards will be inside us (feelings), beside us (culture), behind us (tradition), or above us (Scripture).
- It is impossible to love a God we do not know nor follow a Savior if we don’t know where He is heading.
2 Timothy 4:1-5
Review of Systematic Theology I
Bibliology – What Is the Bible?
- The Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible Word of God.
- Our lives will be determined by how much we allow the Scriptures to influence our beliefs and behavior.
Theology – Who Is God?
- God is the Creator and Sustainer of all things.
- God’s truth regarding Himself is superior to any of our opinions concerning Him.
Anthropology – What Is Mankind?
- Humanity is created in the image of God and intended to bear His likeness.
- Everyone deserves dignity regardless of gender, ethnicity, or ability.
Harmaritology – What Is Sin?
- Sin is our defiant rebellion against God’s standards for our lives.
- It is absolutely necessary for God to punish sin.
Christology – Who Is Christ?
- Jesus is the Long-Awaited Christ that all of history longed for and for which all of Scripture prophesied.
- God provided the only way to salvation through the person and work of Christ.
Overview of Systematic Theology II
Pneumatology – Who Is the Holy Spirit?
- To our detriment, we depersonalize the Holy Spirit to some type of abstract, magical force that some people have more than others.
- The Holy Spirit is the promised Helper essential in the life of a disciple.
Soteriology – What Is Salvation?
- Many people question if we need to be saved and from what we need to be saved.
- Salvation is God’s gift to us – not something we earned from Him.
Ecclesiology – What Is the Church?
- The common tendency is to view a church as a building that houses religious activities.
- The Church is the people of God walking in the presence of God for the purposes of God.
Eschatology – What Will Happen in the End Times?
- In times of escalating conflict, many people are anxious about what is to come.
- While some details are unclear and debated, Scripture tells us what we need to know about the return of Jesus.