Exodus 17:1-7 – To provide the Israelites with water, God curiously instructed Moses to strike a rock in the side from which life-giving nourishment would run. This moment, and the event it foreshadowed, reminds us all that the LORD is truly among us.
- Despite God’s consistent provision, the people complained yet again about their conditions (17:1-2).
- Removed from their bondage, they forgot how horrific their prior circumstances were (17:3).
- Moses knew the people would turn on him if they didn’t get what they needed (17:4).
- God’s curious instruction to strike a rock provided the needed water (17:5-6).
- When the absence of provisions is the reality, the presence of God is doubted (17:7).
- Consider that the circumstances that call you to challenge God are critically consequential.
- Blaming a scapegoat for your unfavorable circumstances won’t make them better.
- Realize that the voices around you will gradually affect your perspective.
- Jesus is the innocent rock struck to address our sinful condition.
Exodus Sermon Series
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.
You must be logged in to post a comment.