If you look at your current financial picture, you might notice too many issues to address at once. Instead of becoming overwhelmed by the numerous tasks, rely on biblical wisdom and align your plan with immediate obedience and gradual progression.
#1. Prioritize God’s wisdom over others’ opinions.
- Proverbs 2:3-4 – Yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures.
- Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
#2. Be content with what you have right now.
- Proverbs 15:16 – Better is a little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble with it.
- Proverbs 15:27 – Whoever is greedy for unjust gain troubles his own household, but he who hates bribes will live.
#3. Live within your means.
- Proverbs 13:7 – One pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth.
- Proverbs 28:25 – A greedy man stirs up strife, but the one who trusts in the LORD will be enriched.
#4. Resolve to be diligent in all your work.
- Proverbs 6:6 – Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise.
- Proverbs 10:4 – A slack hand causes poverty, but the hand of the diligent makes rich.
#5. Avoid chasing fantasies for your financial security.
- Proverbs 12:11 – Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits lacks sense.
- Proverbs 13:11 – Wealth gained hastily will dwindle, but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
#6. Avoid debt as much as possible.
- Proverbs 22:7 – The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender.
- Proverbs 22:26-27 – Be not one of those who give pledges, who put up security for debts. If you have nothing with which to pay, why should your bed be taken from under you?
#7. Create a solid plan for future prosperity.
- Proverbs 21:5 – The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty.
- Proverbs 23:5 – When your eyes cast on riches, they are gone, for suddenly it sprouts wings flying like an eagle toward heaven.
#8. Leaving an inheritance to trustworthy people is a good thing.
- Proverbs 13:22 – A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children, but the sinner’s wealth is laid up for the righteous.
- Proverbs 27:23-24 – Know well the condition of your flocks, and give attention to your herds, for riches to not last forever; and does a crown endure to all generations?
#9. Never place complete trust in your wealth.
- Proverbs 18:11 – A rich man’s wealth is his strong city, and like a high wall in his imagination.
- Proverbs 11:28 – Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, but the righteous will flourish like a green leaf.
#10. Don’t mistake your wealth to be your worth.
- Proverbs 22:2 – The rich and the poor meet together; the LORD is the Maker of them all.
- Proverbs 22:4 – The reward for humility and fear of the LORD is riches and honor and life.
#11. Money cannot buy the most important things in life.
- Proverbs 19:14 – House and wealth are inherited from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the LORD.
- Proverbs 10:16 – The wage of the righteous leads to life, the gain of the wicked to sin.
#12. Prioritize generosity as you use your blessings to bless others.
- Proverbs 3:27 – Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it.
- Proverbs 11:24 – One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want.
#13. If God has blessed you, don’t dishonor Him.
- Proverbs 3:9 – Honor the LORD with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce.
- Proverbs 22:1 – A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold.
What are some goals that I should have for my finances?
- Wealth in Wisdom – 2:3-4; 3:13-14; 8:10-11; 9:10; 15:16; 16:8; 16:16; 17:16; 20:15
- Hard Work – 6:6-8; 6:10-11; 10:4-5; 12:11; 13:4; 13:11; 14:23; 20:13; 21:5; 24:33-34; 28:19
- Rich & Poor – 10:15; 13:7-8; 13:23; 14:20; 17:5; 18:11; 18:23; 19:7; 21:17; 22:2; 28:3; 28:6; 28:11
- Greed – 1:19; 15:27; 22:16; 22:22-23; 23:4; 28:8; 28:20; 28:22; 28:25
- Provision – 3:5-6; 11:26; 11:28; 19:14; 30:7-9
- Giving – 3:27; 11:24-25; 14:21; 14:31; 19:17; 22:9; 28:27
- Wealth – 3:9-10; 8:18-21; 10:22; 14:24; 19:4; 21:6; 22:4; 23:5
- Debt & Lending – 11:15; 17:18; 22:7; 22:26-27; 27:13
- Stewardship & Investments – Prov. 10:16; 13:22; 20:21; 27:23-24; 31:16; 31:20
- Righteous Living – 10:2; 11:4; 11:18; 13:21; 15:6; 17:3; 19:1; 22:1